1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

javascript: links dead in IE6 and NS4.77

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is a specific javascript problem, or if it is OS-related, but it's only definately demonstrated by javascript, so here goes.

I'm running XP Pro (with SP1 and various other M$ updates installed) on a Toshiba laptop, 1Ghz, 512 Mb RAM. When I try to click a javascript: type link (see image below), it's dead. Nothing happens.

The values are not passed to the browser, nothing happens. I don't think that it's a browser-specific problem because the links won't work in either IE6 or NS4.77. And I don't think it's security related, cause everything is set to default medium and still no joy.

(Also, now I'm working locally with some Apache, php and mySQL apps and the database values can successfully be transferred from the local install of mySQL to the local server, but php scripts cannot pick up variable values from the server. Of course, this may be a different issue, I just mention this, as it si similar to the javascript variable values not being passed, but it could very well not be related).

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to get these javascript: links to work again? I remember when I first got this machine (last year, August), these links did work, but since then, something has killed 'em off.

Thanks for any ideas

Cheers
  3. No Profile Picture
    110100100 Member

Code would help
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't have specific code - I was just talking about javascript: type links in general (all of 'em, in any site I go to), not a specific one. They're all dead.

I've tried a lot of places to see if I can get this fixed and as I've been bugging people in the php forum about my variable values not being passed, then I have a brain storm that this javascript: problem could well be the cause - the overall inability for my local system to parse variable values - you can perhaps see my train of thought.

Do you see what I mean, or do you still need the code? I can try and get you an example if you like.
  7. No Profile Picture
    110100100 Member

Hmm sounds like something in windows to me especially since it is not broswer specific nor javascript specific
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, and it's easier to get information released under the Official Secrets Act than to find out about non-specific Windows fixes.

Just thought that knowing javascript you might have come across this before. If you (or anyone else) can think of an idea what's wrong here, please, I'd appreciate any help.

Cheers
  11. No Profile Picture
    Got source?
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Make sure its enabled..
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by mttatkns
    Make sure its enabled..
    Enabled in the broswer, enabled in XP?

Could you be a little more specific?