1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Conditional form field

Hi,

I want to create a form that has a conditional question, but cannot find anything anywhere to help.

Basically,

Do you () drive to work () use public transportation

If the answer is "use public transportation", I want to display another radio button question

Do you primarily use the
    () train () bus () other

I understand that it can be done using Javascript and CSS,.
    Can anyone assist?

Thanks

SiRiC
  3. No Profile Picture
    http://stealthwd.ca
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by siric
    Hi,

I want to create a form that has a conditional question, but cannot find anything anywhere to help.

Basically,

Do you () drive to work () use public transportation

If the answer is "use public transportation", I want to display another radio button question

Do you primarily use the
    () train () bus () other

I understand that it can be done using Javascript and CSS,.
    Can anyone assist?

Thanks

SiRiC
    The easiest way would be to have the ()train ()bus ()other in a hidden div, and when "use public transportation" is checked to unhide it

so hidden div is something like

Code:
    <div id="transContain" style="display:none;">
    <input type="radio" id="train" value="train"/>
    </div>
    and then in your "use public transporation" button you have an onclick event to a function that would do something like

Code:
    document.getElementById("transContain").style.display = "block";

Comments on this post

• sir_drinxalot agrees
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Dameon51
    The easiest way would be to have the ()train ()bus ()other in a hidden div, and when "use public transportation" is checked to unhide it
    Eeer... not really. A "hidden" form element, on using CSS visibility or display, remains in the the DOM tree, thus the form will still send its value, if any, on submit. In other words if you make an element "hidden" that will not make it "disabled" as well.

Either you disable/enable that element whenever you make it disappear/appear, or you use DOM methods to create/append/remove that element (createElement(), appendChild(), removeChild()... and so on)
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well sending those additional fields shouldn't be much of a problem because you can just ignore them.

But if you must remove them then you should create the form with everything it could possibly require and then use javascript to remove the parts you don't need when the page is loaded. That way the form remains functional even without javascript...
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  9. No Profile Picture
    http://stealthwd.ca
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by KorRedDevil
    Eeer... not really. A "hidden" form element, on using CSS visibility or display, remains in the the DOM tree, thus the form will still send its value, if any, on submit. In other words if you make an element "hidden" that will not make it "disabled" as well.

Either you disable/enable that element whenever you make it disappear/appear, or you use DOM methods to create/append/remove that element (createElement(), appendChild(), removeChild()... and so on)
    If the user doesn't check anything though the value submitted will be blank. Yeah you'll probably want to put some more conditions in there, like unchecking the checked value if that div hides again, but a blank submit is should good enough, depending on whats going on server side.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[solved]

Thanks everyone. Got it going and yes, I will just ignore the variables that I don't need.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo