1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question javascript thumbnail/link capabilities

I know HTML and have just started to learn about javascript and my question is about whether or not javascript is what I should be learning for my purpose.

I am creating a page of thumbnails with a menu at the top. (Let's call it Thumbnails.html) When a user clicks on a thumbnail, I want them to be taken to a new page (Specific.html) in the same window with the same menu at the top, where each specific bigger picture will be loaded and displayed corresponding to whichever thumbnail they chose. Only this bigger picture and the menu should appear on the Specific.html page, no thumbnails, so when they click the 'back' button it will take them back to the Thumbnails.html page where they can browse the thumbnails.

Is it possible to create code to do this with Javascript? I've tried some things but either i'm doing it wrong, i don't understand the language enough yet, or it's not possible with javascript.

Thanks for your time!

-Michele
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You can encapsulate each thumbnail in an <A HREF ...> tag. When the user clicks on the thumbnail they are taking to page displaying on that image.
  5. No Profile Picture

That's what I have currently set up, which is actually what I don't want to have - I would like each thumbnail to lead to the picture, but I want the background to have some next and previous arrows on it and the same background as my main webpage, I don't want the picture to just open up in that blank white page and sit in the top left corner. ... Any suggestions?
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You could try using frames. Make a frame for the bottom of the page, where the picture will load after the thumbnail is clicked. This should do what you want.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Expanding of what karsh44 mentioned you can create a JavaScript slide show containg the images and the navigation that you mentioned.
  11. No Profile Picture

thanks guys those are good suggestions =)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo