1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post Saving an image to client using Javascript or anything else

Hi there all

My problem in a nutshell is that i have a number of pages that all use the same basic images [buttons/arrows/borders...] and i want to cut down the amount of network traffic/download time.

i have looked at a couple of solutions but have not seen any that fit the bill exactly - so i am asking if there are any of you that could help

i have thought of;
    a) saving the files to the local harddrive using execCommand('SaveAs') (this would be ideal but i can't find a way of doing it without getting a dialogue box)

b) caching - i am not really familiar with how this works but i can't seem to get my pages to find the cached pics from the previous page [ie different URL]

- i am willing to consider all options -

:o)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Most browsers use caching, so there's no need.

If you go from page to another, and the second page needs images you have already downloaded by downloading the first page, your browser will take them from the cache.

You may check your server access log. The first time, the images are really downloaded with a 200 result code, the second time -when already available through the cache- they are compared, and when no change occurs they're logged with 304 (no change) result codes.

Hope this helps,
    Jeroen
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks

My web server is not that complicated [wrote it myself LOL] and was hoping to not have the browser go up to the server at all for the images

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo