1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Detecting window size

I'm beginning to think browsers just don't like me.

I'm trying to detect the width of my browser window, and so far I've come up with 5 different ways. Got it working in Firefox, it's working on my friend's laptop using IE10 (gives a slightly erroneous answer, but works), but try as I might, it won't work on my laptop using IE8.

I've tried:

window.innerWidth
    document.documentElement.clientWidth
    document.body.clientWidth
    document.body.offsetWidth
    and
    document.documentElement.offsetWidth

I'm about to give up and move on, and just hope that 99% of the people who see this page won't have screwy problems like I do and will see the page the way it should be, but I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has yet one more solution to try...

Here's the code I'm testing it with:

Code:
    var winW, winH;
    if (window.innerWidth && window.innerHeight) {
     winW = window.innerWidth;
     winH = window.innerHeight;
    }
    else if (document.body && document.body.offsetWidth) {
     winW = document.body.offsetWidth;
     winH = document.body.offsetHeight;
    }
    else if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientWidth) {
     winW = document.documentElement.clientWidth;
     winH = document.documentElement.clientHeight;
    }
    else if (document.body && document.body.clientWidth) {
     winW = document.body.clientWidth;
     winH = document.body.clientHeight;
    }
    else if (document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat' &&
        document.documentElement &&
        document.documentElement.offsetWidth ) {
     winW = document.documentElement.offsetWidth;
     winH = document.documentElement.offsetHeight;
    }

document.writeln('Window width = '+winW);
    document.writeln('Window height = '+winH);
    I'm going to make the winW and winH variables equal to screen.width and screen.height when I define them, so at least if none of the IF statements work, it will return the screen dimensions and work somewhat...
  3. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

What's the end purpose for you obtaining the screen dimensions? Because, the way it sounds:
    Originally Posted by cjreynolds
    I'm about to give up and move on, and just hope that 99% of the people who see this page won't have screwy problems like I do and will see the page the way it should be
    Because, if you are using valid CSS; it should not matter what browser or screen size the end user is viewing your page(s) from; the elements should appear the exact same. Unless you are going for a workaround for older browser, that do not support CSS3 Media Queries.
  5. No Profile Picture

I just plugged the code into the webpage I'm working on, and it freekin' worked! Go figure....
  7. No Profile Picture

What's the end purpose for you obtaining the screen dimensions? Because, the way it sounds:

I'm about to give up and move on, and just hope that 99% of the people who see this page won't have screwy problems like I do and will see the page the way it should be
    Because, if you are using valid CSS; it should not matter what browser or screen size the end user is viewing your page(s) from; the elements should appear the exact same. Unless you are going for a workaround for older browser, that do not support CSS3 Media Queries.
    Actually, my expertise in CSS is one problem - it's been several years since I've been a developer, and I was somewhat inexperienced back then - I'm not much better now - this may only be the second time I've noticed that there is a CSS3 (there's not an 'embarrassed' smiley, or I'd use one here).

However, one of the reasons I was needing this is that I need to swap certain images on the page when the page size changes, so I guess it's not a total waste of time...

But as for CSS3, I guess it's time to put on the learning cap and update my skills a bit.. w3schools would be my first resource for that, I suppose - You know any other good resources for learning CSS3?
  9. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Actually, my expertise in CSS is one problem - it's been several years since I've been a developer, and I was somewhat inexperienced back then - I'm not much better now
    Yeah, it would be a good idea to get better equipped with CSS; for your element layouts. JavaScript really should not be used to set-up your layout (unless..., as I reference before; if your trying make some of your CSS cross browser compatible).

However, one of the reasons I was needing this is that I need to swap certain images on the page when the page size changes, so I guess it's not a total waste of time...
    You can do this with CSS3 Media Queries.

I guess it's time to put on the learning cap and update my skills a bit
    You know any other good resources for learning CSS3?
    Here is a good place to start: Learn CSS | MDN.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks! Off to school, now...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo