1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Flash / Apple / HTML5 problems

Not shure of a the correct forum for this. I have been producing flash content with pictures rolling over. I have heared that Aplle are not going to support this on iPhones and tablets. I have also herd that HTML5 is a solution. Some of the content on the web is unclear with statments like blockinhg older content on Safari. Can anyone shead some light on this. I have used CSS5.5 to produce this but it is up to the browser not the version of flash used to create it. It is because of what I have herd about HTML5 that I am placing this in this forum.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds like you intended to say that you're using "Adobe Creative Suite 5.5", not "Cascading Style Sheets 5.5" (which does not exist).

iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch devices do not support Flash. There are some apps that provide a workaround, but when building a new web page, it is much, much better to not use Flash in the first place.

The term HTML5 is an "overloaded term". Sometimes it's used to mean the markup language, and other times to refer to the markup language, CSS3, and JavaScript/DOM.

In that case it's being used to refer to the multiple languages. So since you need JS to do this, I'll move this to the JavaScript forum for you.

I have heared that Aplle are not going to support this on iPhones and tablets.
    Why the future tense? This has been the reality for several years now.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; July 8th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Newer versions of Android no longer support Flash either.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No i never sugested anything to do with Cascading Style Sheets 5.5. This was moved for some reson from HTML as I was asking about HTML5. Why is that a javascript group forum.

What I want to do is display Flash content on all PC's and current browsers. If Applie (i) stuff does not support it then what is the solution.

I thought HTML5 as I heard about it. If there is a direct replacement to Flash what is it. Statments like "Avoide Flash" is a crap statment without a solution.

Can I detect if an (i)Phone has the app installed.

http://html5test.com/ can tell me lots of information but is this done through things like PHP -> $_SERVER[""];
    or is thay just using a list of data they already have.

I can deal with this by serving up a page withou the flash content.

I just want a good intelegent and constructive answere. If I new about Flash and (i)Phones I wouldent be asking and I am not a javascript expert or beginner.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

No i never sugested anything to do with Cascading Style Sheets 5.5.
    The abbreviation "CSS" is commonly used to refer to Cascading Style Sheets, that's where the confusion came from.

This was moved for some reson from HTML as I was asking about HTML5. Why is that a javascript group forum.
    It was moved for two reasons:
    - "HTML5" is used as a generic/blanket term to refer to a particular set of related HTML, JavaScript and CSS features that were all introduced around the same time period.
    - The features that you will most likely need to replace Flash are going to rely more heavily on JavaScript than anything else.

What I want to do is display Flash content on all PC's and current browsers. If Applie (i) stuff does not support it then what is the solution.

I thought HTML5 as I heard about it. If there is a direct replacement to Flash what is it. Statments like "Avoide Flash" is a crap statment without a solution.
    There is no direct replacement for Flash and no company is planning to make one, but most of the things that you would traditionally do with Flash you can program in JavaScript using HTML5 features. At this time there are some features of Flash that cannot be done in HTML5/JavaScript at all (like camera capture).

All mobile Apple devices and all newer Android devices do not support Flash and never will. If you want your code to work on those, the only solution is to stop using Flash and use a combination of JavaScript, CSS and HTML instead. Without knowing specifically what you are trying to do in Flash, there is no way to recommend a more precise solution beyond saying that it will require you to use those three languages.

Can I detect if an (i)Phone has the app installed.
    In most cases you can detect whether an iPhone is being used to load your web page, and you can use that information to deliver a separate version of the page. As mentioned above, if you take that route you should also serve a non-flash version of the page to Android users. You can view the 'user agent' string provided by the browser using either a server-side language like PHP, or using JavaScript. The user agent string contains hints about what platform the user might be using to view the page. I don't know off the top of my head what values you need to check for in the user agent string, but some quick Googling should lead you to those.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

E-Oreo

'you can detect whether an iPhone is being used.'

Yes I do that but I can tell the browser that is used as well. I hered that if iPhones download other browsers than safari it works! I use PHP to detect all this information and I know how to serve up different content. I also know that you can turn of javascript in a browser. This would upset Microsoft as .NET relies on it.

What I want to do is have a banner at the top of each page with revolving pictures something like
    http://www.lifechurchbradford.com/ but in the form of a banner at the top of a web page measuring about Width 1020 px, Height 100 px

I did this some time ago (http://www.des-otoole.co.uk/flashy.php) in flash CS5.5, so something similar as a banner. I would like to be able to change the pictures at a later date and if this could be done as a separate include file like a text document that would be great.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi this thread never got an answer so I will put the problem in a different way. I am not a javascript person but am willing to learn ( any good books in this area please) I just want to make a flash style banner at the top of a web page. I have been told here that I can achieve some flash stuff using javascript that could get over the apple.Android problem I have this and I would like to expand on it. On this website it is just a simple sequence of pictures

www.des-otoole.co.uk

Hopfuly this can get answered. :-)
  15. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would use the SWFObject, because this way; you have flash / non-flash (alternative content... like HTML5 Video, JavaScript Banner Rotator, Animated Image, etc.) support for your banner. And..., to the best of my knowledge most smart phones are JavaScript enabled; so this should work well for you. Here is an example of what I am talking about:
    Code:
    <script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/swfobject/2.2/swfobject_src.js"></script>
    <div id="altContent">
    Alternative Content Here
    </div>
    <script>
    swfobject.embedSWF("https://www.youtube.com/v/3rVA22f_T_w?version=3", "altContent", "500", "400", "9.0.0");
    </script>
    More Related Information

https://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/documentation
    https://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/api

Good Luck

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo