1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Is it valid Javascript to use window.location as link?

Hi;

Is this valid? What't the down side?
    Code:
    onclick="window.location='<?php echo base_url('details/show/'.$row->DID);?>';"
    Thanks
  3. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    Hi;

Is this valid? What't the down side?
    Code:
    onclick="window.location='<?php echo base_url('details/show/'.$row->DID);?>';"
    Thanks
    Look at your developer's console to see if you receive errors, for code like this. This is one way to validate code, that you question; and... you may also want to check out this JavaScript validation tool, as well.

JSLint - The JavaScript Code Quality Tool

There are also other validation tools out there; that you may want to check into too. Some are browser based and some are website based; I think there are even some stand-alone pieces of software out there, as well.
    Last edited by web_loone08; January 13th, 2014 at 08:07 PM.
  5. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Assuming the output of your PHP code doesn't cause any syntax errors from bad quoting, then yes, that is valid.

However, doing such a thing is generally not advised. If all you're trying to do is link somewhere then use a <a> tag like you're supposed to and you won't need Javascript at all.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  7. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by kicken
    Assuming the output of your PHP code doesn't cause any syntax errors from bad quoting, then yes, that is valid.

However, doing such a thing is generally not advised. If all you're trying to do is link somewhere then use a <a> tag like you're supposed to and you won't need Javascript at all.
    Hey man,
    I know,,,, the whole div is link etc etc...
  9. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf

If I was going to do, what your wanting to do; I would use Unobtrusive JavaScript / Degradable JavaScript. That way, if someone has JS disabled in their browser; your link can still be accessible and I would not use inline JS either (that is a personal preference on my part and most developers... using external JS files are easier to update; if you ever need to update anything). So, you may want to do something like:
    Code:
    <script>
    function goTo(where)
    {
    window.location = where;
     this.onclick = function(){
      return false;
     }
    }
    </script>

<a href="http://www.somepage.com/page1.php" onclick="goTo(this.href)"><div>Page One</div></a>
  11. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by web_loone08
    If I was going to do, what your wanting to do; I would use Unobtrusive JavaScript / Degradable JavaScript. That way, if someone has JS disabled in their browser; your link can still be accessible and I would not use inline JS either (that is a personal preference on my part and most developers... using external JS files are easier to update; if you ever need to update anything). So, you may want to do something like:
    Code:
    <script>
    function goTo(where)
    {
    window.location = where;
     this.onclick = function(){
      return false;
     }
    }
    </script>

<a href="http://www.somepage.com/page1.php" onclick="goTo(this.href)"><div>Page One</div></a>
    I don't think it is valid to have <div> inside <a>.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Why would you need to use a div for that? Anyways according to the html 5 specifications it is now acceptable to have a block-level element inside of an inline element

Comments on this post

• web_loone08 agrees
  15. A Not To Shabby Code Smurf

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    I don't think it is valid to have <div> inside <a>.
    Is that not what you just told kicken?
    Originally Posted by English Breakfast
    Hey man,
    I know,,,, the whole div is link etc etc...
    And..., I don't think it is valid either; I was just giving you an example of what I thought you wanted.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo