1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating my own schema in LDAP

hello all,

I am new to ldap.i have installed and configured ldap with default schema setup. it is working fine.

Now I want to create ldap schema for my company structure. can i add my own attribute type and objectclass in schema file ? will that affect existing schema or ldap setup.

Any Ideas!!
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by gokulnath
    hello all,

I am new to ldap.i have installed and configured ldap with default schema setup. it is working fine.

Now I want to create ldap schema for my company structure. can i add my own attribute type and objectclass in schema file ? will that affect existing schema or ldap setup.

Any Ideas!!
    It's not a good idea to write it into the existing ones, but you CAN make your own schema file and simply link to it in your ldap conf.

Before you start making your own files, I'd recommend you make sure that you are doing it for the right reason. The ones that are out there right now contain almost everything you need.

I had to make one for my company and we used it for over a year (upgraded after that to a different db). It's not hard to make one (rather easy once you learn it) you just have to make sure there is a reason for it, redoing work is not fun.
  7. No Profile Picture

can u tell me the process how to make our own schema in ldap

can u tell me the process how to make our own schema in ldap.because i m new to this..how it will work how it is useful reated to opends or opensso
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Creating your own user defined schema elements is LDAP directory proprietary, so you will need to look up how to do it for the Directory that your using. For the Sun DS you add the user defined schema into the 99user.ldif file. For the netscape Directory you include your schema file at the end of the default schema file. These are just a few, so you will need to learn the process for your Directory. You should register your directory and use your registered DOID (directory object ID) to add to the schema. This will ensure that you do not break any interoperability with vendor software.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo