1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Add GUI to server?

I am building my first server. I'll be using Centos. I know next to nothing about Linux. It will be located in my home behind my cable modem and firewall. Its purpose is development.

Originally, I was just going to select the Server option, but now am considering Desktop-Gnome, Desktop-KDE, and Server-GUI. My reason for doing so is just to see what these other applications are like and that maybe it will be easier for me to navigate around when I am learning.

Any suggestions? Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I add gnome on my servers (Fedora). I can't configure my router without a GUI so I need the ability to run a web browser from the server. If you want you can configure your server to start in runlevel 3 then start the gui only when you need to use it.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Thanks Doug,

Do you know anything about "Server-GUI"? I don't know if it is specific to only CentOS or also to Fedora.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
    Thanks Doug,

Do you know anything about "Server-GUI"? I don't know if it is specific to only CentOS or also to Fedora.
    I don't know. You can usually find some starter information with
    yum info Server-GUI
    if it's a package. I avoid CentOS for various reasons, but it is a RedHat copy and with Fedora I'm comfortable installing a yum package then if I don't like it uninstalling it, uninstalls clean up after themselves pretty well these days.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo