Thread: Beginner

1. No Profile Picture
    rave reverend
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner

I am trying to get started with linux I have partioned my machine into 6,6 and 2Gb and I am hoping to install Linux on the 6Gb partion. Firstly where can I get **decent** help starting up I have looked into it a bit and it seems that Redhat suits me best. Can anyone suggest to me a good place to start.

Or even fill me in on how to do it.

Thanks for your help,

Muz
  3. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Redhat's site is probably full of documentation on how to install and configure their dist. And if you buy the product, you'll get all the documentation you need to set it up...
    And you can always try linuxnewbie etc or just search for linux install documentation.

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  5. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

RedHat and Mandrake are probably the best distributions to start with. Read through all the install documentation they give you, then go for a really standard install. Once you've installed it, read through any more documentation you get with the distribution before really using it.

I have been working on a beginner's guide to using GNU/Linux (for no specific distribution), with tutorials on some basic concepts and how to get started with the OS. Have a look at it here:

http://www.tomchance.uklinux.net/thh/3-gnu-linux/3.html
  7. No Profile Picture

bsd/system v

what are the differences between system V and BSD?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

slackware.com

newbie friendly
    where I started, simplicity is devine
  11. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Slackware's not newbie friendly! It expects you to understand the basics of partitioning and then puts you into GNU/Linux once it's installed without a clue as to where to go from there. If you're familiar with UNIX already, or have a good book about, it's a really excellent distro. But for a newbie?
  14. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I mean everything a person needs to know about slackware would be answered at slackware.com
    its straight forward and no bloat to add confusion
  16. Contributing User

the difference between Sys V and bsd is mainly the booting sequence and concept....where Sys V has 5 runlevels and uses several scripts and symlinks for to start certain services per runlevel bsd uses 2 (??) runlevels and puts everything in one central configuration file.

I'm not a real expert on the subject, but maybe you should read this article.

http://www.daemonnews.org/199906/d-advocate.html

Marc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo