1. Born Looser
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Best book and Resource on Linux.

People reading this thread must post any Linux Resource whic gives standardised and authorative kind of infromation on Linux. Please mention the names of Book or Web pages or even mention any article appeared in news paper. It must be authorative kind of thing, I mean there should be no challenge to that and must be not distro oriented. NO RH/Suse/Debian/Slackware/Mandrake/ or any other specific stuff. Just pure Linux.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  3. No Profile Picture

Cool Linux reference book

A reference to general Linux, and for that matter Unix coding, a text book that I have used is available from 'Course Technology, Thomson Learning.' The title: Guide to Unix Using Linux
    ISBN #: 0-7600-1096-X
    URL: www.course.com

At the time that I took the course, fall of 2000, RedHat 6.2 disc came with book. Hopefully they have updated.

It gives history of Linux and Unix, covers vi, Emacs, commands like awk, grep, and all the other lovelies......:-)

Now I am hooked.....

"Growing Old is Enevitable....Growing Up is an Option!"

Q
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

you can also use the book Running Linux from O'reilly&Associates...unfortunately i've 4goten the author
  7. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

www.oreilly.com has pretty much any computing book I'd ever want.

I've got their Running Linux title, which covers the history and background of GNU/Linux, how to install it (partitions, filesystems etc), how to configure it (lilo, daemons, x, kde, gnome, and more), all about the filesystem (permissions, ownership etc.), basic system administration, guides to a few emergency scenarios, how to use vi, emacs and a couple of other often-used programs, and probably more I'm forgetting
  9. Born Looser

Thumbs up Man I like this

I like the way ppl love each other on net. I was looking some standard information on linux. All I am getting is much like that I am getting from the book RH Bible.

OK I am trying to get hold of books but was unable to find in my city. May be I have to order them online

But anyway the information is not what i supposed I will get
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  11. No Profile Picture

hey shleda...mayb u need to read the manuals that come with the other distros...
  13. No Profile Picture
    PerlGuy
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Funny how some people who need help are so demanding and ungrateful.

Maybe if RedHat's manuals are pointing you to a source its a good idea to check it out. Maybe you could look the books recommended and find it out what's to them before you discount the information in them. Maybe you should respect the advice of those who obviously know more than you.

Or better yet, maybe you should to some research for yourself before you ask questions that you will spurn answers to.
    - dsb -
    Perl Guy

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo