1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to click with mousewheel on linux ?

Hello,

Is there any way replacing the functionalities of mouse wheel with clicks ?
    (one small movement forward is left click, one backward is the right click)

You cant imagine, my finger are very sensitive and clicking with mouse wheel is very friendly. Normal buttons hurts my fingers after some time.

Thanks in advance.

(I enjoyed using autohotkey on windows which solves this problem.
    As I know there is a autohotkey clone on linux called IronAhk but I interested in other solutions as well.)
  3. No Profile Picture

You can most likely do this with xmodmap (http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/xmodmap.1.html), although it will probably take a little bit of tinkering.

One tool which will help you on this journey is the program xev (http://linuxreviews.org/man/xev/). It opens a window, and shows you what code each button of the mouse generates (including scrolls which are basically buttons).

What distro and desktop environment are you running?

Comments on this post

• jamespayne agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

unfortunately, the mouse wheel only has 1 button under it [no forward click, backward click] which is normally setup as "middle click". some programs have ability to change the middle click function to something else, but, you would never be able to do a "forward click/backward click" with it.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    unfortunately, the mouse wheel only has 1 button under it [no forward click, backward click] which is normally setup as "middle click". some programs have ability to change the middle click function to something else, but, you would never be able to do a "forward click/backward click" with it.
    While it doesn't look like a button, the clicks of the wheel seem to be treated like a button press. The Kensington trackball on my desk registered a button4 press and button4 release for turning the wheel to the right and a button5 press and release for turning it to the left.

Now the precision necessary to do this seems much more painful then using the mouse buttons, but I'll leave that part to another conversation

Point is, to the driver, they are all digital inputs.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo