Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is it easy?

Is Linux hard to learn? Thanks,

-Sean
  3. Born Looser

Thumbs up It depends on u

Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder.
    Pal Pamela Anderson may have WOW figure or U may find her *.*bs too large to handle. It all depends on u. The day b4 I installed Linux on my machine it was A starnge thing Now it is a common thing for me. Linux is easy for geeks If u love to type rather than use mouse U will be good at linux in few days and if u can't ytpe as other geeks do U will learn Linux in Few++ days. Thats very simple and Linux is not so hard.
    Try it.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sean, you should ask question like this at -> http://www.linuxnewbie.org/cgi-bin/u...ultimatebb.cgi

And before you ask a real question next time, read this -> [NEW USERS] - How to post a question. because of your bad subject title.
    Last edited by freebsd; March 31st, 2002 at 03:06 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wait some weeks and when SuSE 8.0 comes out, get it.
    Hm I don't know if I should agree to that. When I started with linux I had SuSE 5.? and Slackware, version unknown. I managed to get Xfree running with Slackware first so it became the first distro I used.
    In the meantime I used/had to work with SuSE, Debian, Mandrake, Yellowdog and never had problems that couldn't be solved by reading the manuals or some post at devshed of course ;-)

What I want to say: If you want to learn linux I'd suggest Slackware or Debian. Judging by the amount of documentation provided on Gentoo's website it might be an interesting distro too - I didn't have the time/need to try it out yet.

If you want to start doing web development or whatever on linux there might be completely different priorities.

Robert
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by robson
    If you want to learn linux I'd suggest Slackware or Debian.
    I can't agree with that. gdesigns obviously has no experience with Linux so far. Starting with a distro that actually expects some knowledge wouldn't do any good - something that works out of the box is rather better in this case. After all, you don't just learn technical stuff all the way, it's sometimes surfing the WWW, reading email and using office apps. SuSE is imho rather better for these than Slackware or Debian while allowing the newbie to learn about Linux - as much as the newbie wants.
  13. Born Looser

realnowhereman man is guru but do not ansrs pms.
    Anyway He is right. GD must begin with some user friendly made fro dummies type of distro. I am using RH and It is wow(Al though forums thinks Suse is good ) May b u start with these stuff and l8r switch over to Debian and slackware kinda things.

Do maintain Linux with WinBlows parttion . U will know at which part Linuix Beats Win and where Linux is far behind from Win(It is $$$ for sure)

Practice makes the Geek more GeeK

Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  16. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't call it linux knowledge when you can work with yast or mandrake control center ...
    You can learn so much about the system when you install one of those not so user friendly distributions.
    After all Slackware worked for me in the beginning so why not for somebody else.
  18. No Profile Picture

20. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

robson you need to stop approaching newbiee questions through your eyes!

look at the guy's post: "Is Linux hard to learn?" Now if he were a real nerd, he wouldn't be too concerned, because he'd relish the difficulty, it seems obvious to me he's testing the water to see if he should jump in...

So of course it is natural to reccomend a newbie distribution to start with. It won't scare him away, and it will let him learn various aspects of a full GNU/Linux system without any difficulty. It's easy to forget how much there is to learn just to use KDE or GNOME for word processing and browsing...

If he then gets into it, well he can always install Slackware to really *learn* GNU/Linux, as YaST and *Drake features really don't let you learn the system properly, so if he wanted to do that he could.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo