1. They're coming to take me away

Equivalent to chkdsk for Windows..?

Just wanted to know if there was a command to check the HD in my linux machine similar to chkdsk. I think my HD is failing. The computer was off a month or so ago, and I assumed power supply, so I switched that out for another one I had around. Today, my computer was off again. After hitting the power button repeatedly, it came back on. I decided to back up everything, and heard a lot of clicking as it was loading. It turned on, and I was unable to zip up some archives and save it direct to that hd.. kept timing out or giving me errors.

Now I'm zipping up to my windows machine and it's working. I'm running Samba, and have the linux machine mapped as my Z Drive. Can I just run chkdsk z: from my windows machine, or do I need to run a Linux equivalent command from the linux machine?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by hiker
    Can I just run chkdsk z: from my windows machine, or do I need to run a Linux equivalent command from the linux machine?

Thanks.
    You should boot your linux station into the single mode and run the fsck command to check its filesystems.

But judging by the problem's description you might have a hardware problem.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Also with Fedora anyway you can force a disk check on reboot using the cli shutdown command, but I also think you may be having hardware problems, and if so I'd just backup and replace the drive.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    Just wanted to know if there was a command to check the HD in my linux machine similar to chkdsk. I think my HD is failing. The computer was off a month or so ago, and I assumed power supply, so I switched that out for another one I had around. Today, my computer was off again. After hitting the power button repeatedly, it came back on. I decided to back up everything, and heard a lot of clicking as it was loading. It turned on, and I was unable to zip up some archives and save it direct to that hd.. kept timing out or giving me errors.

Now I'm zipping up to my windows machine and it's working. I'm running Samba, and have the linux machine mapped as my Z Drive. Can I just run chkdsk z: from my windows machine, or do I need to run a Linux equivalent command from the linux machine?

Thanks.
    you can use fsck on anything pretty much.

be careful to first unmount the partition before using fsck
    as it will damage it otherwise.

you can use fsck via

shutdown -R -F

-F --> force fsck upon reboot

if you want to automatically invoke fsck upon reboot
    on any partition mounted through /etc/fstab

thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Agreed, fsck is for the filesystem itself...

But if you think your hard disk is failing I'd also take a look at smartd (aka smartmontools), see :http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/monito...g-systems.html

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo