1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    3. Which Distribution/distro/'Linux' should I choose for a server machine?

Do you have any specific software needs? Will you be using something like CPanel or Plesk?

If you need CPanel or plesk, you should go with Debian (I recommend the network install), CentOS, Fedora Core or SuSE (Plesk is officially certified/supported for SuSE Enterprise)

If you want a lot of administration tools and performance is slightly less important, go for CentOS, or if you want more bleeding edge software, Fedora Core or SuSE.

If you want better performance and you know what you're confident at administrating a server, choose Debian or even Slackware.

If performance is extremely important and you can cope without administration tools, choose Gentoo. Beware that in large quantities it can become difficult to administer, however. It also lacks an easy installer. Slackware also has no graphical installer, but offers a number of tweaking options.
    Despite the fact that I'm a Fedora fan I gotta say you have to be careful with Fedora and servers. The other day I had a chance to reinstall our older Siemens Primergy dual P3 with Adaptec 2100 and aacraid, but only the aacraid was recognized. I even tried to pass the "noprobe" option to the bootloader and later pick a driver, buth the "2100" was not there. So, if you have this card you should go for:
    FC3, FC4, but not FC5 or FC6. Couldn't even find the 2100 driver for FC5/FC6 on the Web.
  3. המבין יבין
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by zby
    Despite the fact that I'm a Fedora fan I gotta say you have to be careful with Fedora and servers. The other day I had a chance to reinstall our older Siemens Primergy dual P3 with Adaptec 2100 and aacraid, but only the aacraid was recognized. I even tried to pass the "noprobe" option to the bootloader and later pick a driver, buth the "2100" was not there. So, if you have this card you should go for:
    FC3, FC4, but not FC5 or FC6. Couldn't even find the 2100 driver for FC5/FC6 on the Web.
    FC<6 should _not_ be used on a production server as they are not receiving security updates anymore. For that matter, no Fedora should be on a server as Fedora is not a stable OS. Don't get me wrong, I use Fedora at home, but not on a server.
    . . . What is Firefox?
    . . . . . . What is Linux?
    . . . . . . . . . . . What is Love?
  5. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I have to both agree and disagree with you there Dotan.

We use fedora core 2 on one of our production servers. Most of our packages were compiled by hand ourselves anyway and moving to another operating system would result in too much downtime that we just can't tolerate.

On the other hand, I happen to think fedora is a terrible system for a server since the only way we managed to make it tolerable was to compile hundreds of packages manually, certainly not the ideal situation.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo