1. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

New Fedora install issue

Upon installing Fedora 18 and booting I am getting a black screen and a message that says

"cannot display this mode"

In searching for an answer, I've gleaned enough to know that I have to change a grub config file for a specific screen resolution. My question is how do I go about doing that?

which file is it and what would the config settings be? I have a 24" Dell LCD. The card is an old rage 128 I believe.

Would booting from a live CD and accessing the file work to do this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you know the parameter you need, you can add it to the boot command from the initial grub screen. At least you could with grub 1, I haven't used the current grub2 and f18.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The original plan was to install the newest version of Ubuntu on that machine but I ran into the infamous installer bug. I might go back and try again and use the work around. This machine seems determined not to take an install no matter what.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi

Yes booting from a live cd will work. If you do not have your hdd encrypted you can open the grub file as root user in the live cd and make the changes.

But your error sounds more like it is a error with X detecting a wrong resolution of your monitor. You can google Xorg.config and create this file also in the live cd. Just enter the resolution and color depth you have in your monitor. Maybe vesa does not work with the rage card. you can ceck this by coping the Xorg.conf from the working live CD to the HDD.

Also remember ALWAYS make a backup file of the files you change.
    You can look in the Archwiki or the Ubuntuuser wiki for the command line options for grub.

Hope this helps

Manuel

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo