1. Business Analyst
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Red face Best File System Format for Multi-OS use

I just bought a USB enclosure for an existing 160GB hard drive I have and planned to use it as a backup, on my dual-boot Vista/Ubuntu box, as well as my wife's Mac OS X notebook.

The disk was already formatted as NTFS but just for the hell of it I reformatted it again in NTFS directly from Windows to make sure all was "clean". I then did everything I could to modify the Windows permissions to make the drive completely "open", with full RWX capabilities for all users.

Ubuntu and OS X can both see and read the drive but not write to it... which defeats my original intention altogether.

I know there are tons of file formats out there... NTFS, FAT, some Linux formats, etc. I'm not looking for anything super secure, I just want something that will allow me read, write, and execute permissions for a single 160GB partition that will work with all 3 OS's.

So... now that I've written this quick novella, any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
    Discontent is the first necessity of progress. - Edison
  3. kill 9, $$;
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

iirc, You can't format a FAT32 bigger than 32gb from windows but you can use linux or another OS to make a large FAT32 partition. I don't know if Vista removed this limitation or not.

ntfs-3g supposedly provides r/w support for ntfs from linux. I have no idea about Mac OS. FAT32 is the most compatible choice. Oh, I believe FAT32 restricts file size to a max 4gb.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo