1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What Flavor of Linux for which Hardware

Hello everyone,

Currently we are a Sun/Sparc 64 bit running Solaris 10 and the databases are MySQL 5.0 SO my question/problem is we are making the move away from that to x86_64 HP or Dell Blades, and will be running a flavor of Linux. Most likely it will be Red Hat 6, but we are also looking at Oracle Linux as well too. Also we will be upgrading our MySql 5.0 to 5.1 and then to 5.5 as well too.

So my real need is to hear from others which Flavor of Linux would be best for us and why? Also depending on which flavor of Linux, which Hardware should we consider more HP or Dell and why? Also as to storage, who would work best with the Flavor of Linux and Hardware combination?

I would like to hear collective advice on this please. I am by trade a Systems DBA and work closely with our Sys Admins/Network techs, but they are resistance to change from Sun/Solaris and management has said we are going to Linux and some other Hardware and etc. So I am looking for some advice here to best guide us down the correct best path to choose the best for our company.

Also I should point out that it is our intent to use VMs as well too, so that needs to also be considered too.

Thanks in Advance...
  3. Contributing User

As a note, from my own research it would seem the main Flavors of Linux to look at are x86_64 Red Hat 6, SUSE, and Oracle Linux... with using HP Blades. I realize there are many considerations here but I would like to here from more informed Linux Sys Admins. I am new here at this company and I come from the Unix/Linux world and Red Hat Linux of HP Blades with using NetApp storage was what I know last. Now granted that was primarily a Oracle shop with some MySQL dbs, PostgreSQL and even SQL Server 2005 on Windows too. We also did VMs as well for our DEV/test environments too, it is our plan here to also do the same as well too.

So we need to choose the best flavor of Linux for the best hardware, and then tie in the best storage for those two choices that work best together.
  5. Contributing User

It should also be stated that our Network/SysAmins whom are currently SUN/Solaris guys, are being commanded to become Lunix Admins ( the owner has spoken). Now I have read that the different flavors of Linux that seem to be best are: CentOS, SUSE, Red Hat, and also we have as well Oracle Linux, Gentoo, Fedora, Debion, and Ubuntu.

For me I feel support and patching are key elements here, as well as having other apps and etc that can work with what-ever the flavor we choose is key. Also we would be using either HP or DELL blades.

There are many things to consider, but the drive and commitment and budget is there to make the change so we must.
  7. Contributing User

Well it is looking more and more like Red Hat v6 with Red Hat Cluster Suite is the most likely possibility on HP Blades

Also currently we use MySQL 5.0 and had have plans to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 and then 5.5. Now I an considering taking us to PostgreSQL instead and using a company of Enterprisedb for support, since it is so much like Oracle dbs flavor.

The real goal is to get the best situation for my company and make it scalable.

Doesn't anyone have any thoughts or comments???
  9. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    For what it is worth, we were mainly a dell shop using RedHat Enterprise linux for many years (though our DB servers were running mysql on Sun hardware running Solaris -- we switched those to dell and redhat linux too about 3 years ago). We've recently started to get some HP hardware too, but those are mostly laptops and desktops, not really server hardware which is still mostly Dell at the present moment.

By the way, we're switching away from MySQL to Oracle in most cases (all new projects use Oracle, older legacy stuff is still switching slowly). Reason was that MySQL actually got more expensive to run than Oracle (and this was before they were acquired by Oracle!) because they started to make ridiculous demands on their support contract and enterprise tool support and quoted a price more than Oracle at one point!
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo