Thread: gcc upgrade

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

gcc upgrade

Hi,
    I'm a linux newbie, I'm using Red Hat linux 7.2 and I have gcc 2.96 installed from rpms, and I would like to upgrade, does anyone know how can I do this without screwing up all the system?
    I hope you can help me.
    Best Regards,
    Simao Mata
  3. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! (arms flailing erratically, "Lost in Space" style)

I wouldn't do this, unless you have a very, very good reason to. Upgrade only if the upgrade has absolutely critical functionality.

If you insist on upgrading, I'd go from the RPMs available on ftp://updates.redhat.com, they have a far greater chance of not wacking your system into oblivion, especially if you're just figuring out linux.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gotta agree with realnowhereman and Hero Zzyzzx, gcc is not something to mess around with unless it's your only option. In my experience, it's pretty much the hardest thing there is to upgrade, worse than the kernel, glibc, or X.

It's also worth pointing out that a lot of the more recent gcc releases are buggy, so you may want to use caution in choosing which version you upgrade to.

If ugrade is absolutely needed, as Hero Zzyzzx said, do it with an RPM from RedHat if at all possible.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo