1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Git configuration, cloning repository using gitbox

I have a "simple" cloning repository question that may be unrelated to gitbox.

As root
    I created a user, git
    I created a directory, wheretogofromhere.git inside user git's directory.
    Inside that directory I issued git nit --bare --shared

Exited root and as a user
    I cd-ed into the wheretogofromhere project and I issued:
    git init
    git add .
    git commit
    git remote add origin /home/git/wheretogofromhere.git
    git push origin master

All this went fine without any warnings or errors.

Then I start gitbox and I go to clone a repository buy it fails. I am not sure if the input parameters are correct: git://git.wheretogofromhere.com/wheretogofromhere

Using the above input I receive the following error in my system log:
    Jul 7 17:56:58 myMBP Gitbox[573]: GBAskPassController: unknown error: warning: templates not found /usr/local/Cellar/git/1.7.5.4/share/git-core/templates\nfatal: Unable to look up git.wheretogofromhere.com (port 9418) (nodename nor servname provided, or not known)\nCloning into wheretogofromhere... (giving up and calling task's block)
    Jul 7 17:56:58 myMBP Gitbox[573]: GBCloningRepositoryController: did FAIL to clone at file://localhost/Users/epanagio/public_html/Dropbox/git/wheretogofromhere/
    Jul 7 17:56:58 myMBP Gitbox[573]: GBCloningRepositoryController: output: warning: templates not found /usr/local/Cellar/git/1.7.5.4/share/git-core/templates\nfatal: Unable to look up git.wheretogofromhere.com (port 9418) (nodename nor servname provided, or not known)\nCloning into wheretogofromhere...

I am guessing that the error Unable to look up git.wheretogofromhere.com points to the problem.

What would be the correct input for gitbox to clone the repository?
    Evan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are you trying to clone on that same machine that has the existing repository? If so, the address of your repository is just the path to it, /home/git/wheretogofromhere.git If the software doesn't accept that you might try file:///home/git/wheretogofromhere.git instead.

You would only use a git:// type path if you had a GIT server set up remotely and were trying to clone from that.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Contributing User

Yes. I am trying to access the repository remotely and I am not using the correct command to clone the remote repository.
    Evan
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Have you started the git-daemon on the server?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. Contributing User

THANKS!!!!!!
    I just installed it and issued:
    PHP Code:
    /usr/libexec/git-core/git-daemon --syslog --base-path=/home/git --export-all --detach --verbose --enable=receive-pack 
    Then I check with:
    PHP Code:
    ps -grep git-daemon 
    and it's running.

I have created the user git and successfully cloned a repository there.

Now I will look into setting up the daemon to nun automatically.

Thanks!
    Evan

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo