On Linux I prefer VIM or VI... which ever is installed

On Winblow$ I use any of (not in order of preference):
    - Notepad
    - GVIM
    - HomeSite
    - Dreamweaver
    - DOS Edit
    - "C:\>copy con mytest.txt"

All depending on what I am doing or whats installed...
    deepspring

- "Netscape 4 users are like lemmings... You can't help but laugh when one falls off a cliff"
  6. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

8. Is a Psycho
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hehehe...

I think you mean "C:\>copy con mydat.txt > null" or even nastier "C:\>copy con mydat.txt > prn"...

There is even a more evil thing... Anyone remember EDLIN in DOS 5.0 and below... it was kinda like a perverse version of VI only line based...
    deepspring

- "Netscape 4 users are like lemmings... You can't help but laugh when one falls off a cliff"
  10. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by deepspring
    I think you mean "C:\>copy con mydat.txt > null" or even nastier "C:\>copy con mydat.txt > prn"...
    I actually meant what I wrote
    Anyone remember EDLIN in DOS 5.0 and below...
    It was still there in 5.0? I thought they threw it out by 4.0 ... too lazy to look it up now
    it was kinda like a perverse version of VI only line based...
    Big difference: with vi it's possible to do stuff. With edlin it may be possible, with a lot of training, to write a short letter, nothing more.
  12. Is a Psycho

I actually meant what I wrote

--snip--

It was still there in 5.0? I thought they threw it out by 4.0 ... too lazy to look it up now
    I figured that out after I posted that comment... That second "copy con" command is handy for makin batch files that have a hundred ascii female characters (new page to most printers) on individual lines to annoy the college network admin (the print que goes nutz).

And yes EDLIN was still part of DOS 5.0 (well the copy I have anyways, I still have the 668 page DOS 5.0 manual).

Big difference: with vi it's possible to do stuff. With edlin it may be possible, with a lot of training, to write a short letter, nothing more.
    I was being sarcastic :
    deepspring

14. No Profile Picture

a hundred ascii female characters (snip) on individual lines to annoy the college network admin
    Aha. I've gotta try that at school They've setup a laser printer, but since our teacher is too stupid to use Windoze, I doubt that there will be much securiry against "phun scirptz"
    And yes EDLIN was still part of DOS 5.0 (well the copy I have anyways, I still have the 668 page DOS 5.0 manual)
    You're right, I just forgot it someday. I've bought a 800 pages Highscreen DOS 5.0 manual for 50 one year ago - it mentions edlin ...
  16. Is a Psycho

Just watch yourself if you use that prank. The admin may kick your butt for it. If you do, use Winblowz scheduler system, because the server may log who and where the print job come from. Also it may not work on some of the newer, smarter laser printers. I forgot to mention that it creates a paper jam...

You're right, I just forgot it someday. I've bought a 800 pages Highscreen DOS 5.0 manual for 50 one year ago - it mentions edlin ...
    50 cents, damn I got it for free with an old Mitac 386SX/33 notebook, I use it mostly as a weight on top the flatbed scanner for scanning bits out of magazines/books now.
    deepspring

18. No Profile Picture

Just watch yourself if you use that prank.
    You'd be amazed at how many people don't log off when they've finished whatever they do at computers. I intend to exploit that

By the way, edlin could probably be used as an adequate replacement for Turbo Pascal's IDE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo