Hello,

I have noticed something fairly frustrating and would like to know how I can avoid making this mistake in the future. I have attempted to download the source and install, for all users to access, a development framework called 'play'.

(BTW I am using CentOS and trying to install using ROOT account into /opt/play-2.1.1)

I would normally have used yum or apt-get however the play framework website has indicated that isn't available yet. So they recommended downloading the source and following the instructions. I downloaded the source into the /opt directory, uncompressed the source, and added the directory to the path for all users by using a load shell script within /etc/profile.d - i load the install directory to the path, add an variable for the install dir called PLAY_HOME, and add an alias for play that overwrites another similarly named, yet infinitely more useless program reference.

After doing this I can run everything I need to, to install the framework still running as root. The problem arises when I try to use the command with anyone not-root. The path is fine, the executable alias is fine, but when I run the executable the internals of the framework spaz out because everything is owned by root.

Now when I look at other programs installed so that all users can access them, the files all look very similar permissions wise. What can I do to make this program run like those other system wide / user wide programs? What am I missing?

When I install things via YUM or APT-GET I do not seem to ever have this problem. Yet when I install things from source I sometimes run into this issue and its not immediately clear to me why that is the case.

Any input?