Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've Had It w/ Ubuntu #RANT/

Yup. Nothing informative or good about this post. Clearly venting to the Linux community here how sick I am of Ubuntu. They've honestly made a decent promising Linux distribution the most unfriendly and annoying thing I've ever installed. Unity by far is the worst and can't see how anyone can properly utilize their machine. You have limited to almost zero capabilities to managing a foreground window unless you full screen it. You can only full screen a window by the controls in the upper left hand corner...but wait. Move your mouse into the upper left hand corner to manage the active window and the docking menu pops out of nowhere and blocks access to what you're really trying to do which is just size a ****ing window so you can see the menu.

Seriously Ubuntu...you're dead to me.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You won't find many people who disagree with you. The initial release of KDE 4, Unity and Gnome 3 were/are widely regarded as complete garbage.

I stopped using Linux as a general purpose desktop system when my time became valuable (ie: I got a job). If you convert my pay into an hourly rate, it is less expensive for me to buy a Windows 7 license than it is to get my wireless drivers working in Ubuntu. Plus, my wireless and video drivers broke in Ubuntu every time there was a kernel update.

I still use Linux on a daily basis for servers and in VMs, but almost strictly from the command line. Linux beats Windows hands down for server environments.

However, for general purpose computing, Windows 7 is the best operating system I've ever used. It's rock stable, very secure, the task bar concept they took from OS X is a huge step up from the old task bar and almost everything just works right the first time.

Windows 8 looks like it's going to be complete garbage too, but unlike older versions of Ubuntu, Microsoft will support for Windows 7 for many years (look at how many people still get by using XP; go install Ubuntu 4, released 3 years after XP, and see how well you can get by in a desktop environment with modern hardware).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Carlos,

I understand where you are coming from. Awhile ago, I gave up on windows and went 100% from Win to full time Linux (Ubuntu).

Everything was fine until "Unity". It was so bad that Ubuntu has made it to where if you log-in and hate it... you can log-out and select Gnome Classic at the bottom.

Additionally, you are always able to use Debian. That might be another wise choice.
    Regarding what Oreo has typed about time management with respect to OS. I recall back on windows the amount of time which was consumed doing mundane tasks such as virus scans, defrags, and finding keys... and that's if you only have 1 windoze PC to worry about. It was bad around my house, we have several PC's here, So every Sunday all the PCs would have to have the above listed tasks issued. Ugh.

In closing, if you like Linux. stay there. If 7 is your choice go there. If you like them both, Dual Boot.

Good Luck.

Side note. I think most of the problems regarding wireless and Linux have just about been resolved. I could be wrong, just seems like that is an old complaint.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I used window for only one year then I find Ubuntu OS from that day I am continuously using Ubuntu. It is the best Linux distro. I use GNOME desktop I think it is the best desktop for your Linux. Linux is best in every field than window. I have also used other Linux distro best Ubuntu is best.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    You won't find many people who disagree with you. The initial release of KDE 4, Unity and Gnome 3 were/are widely regarded as complete garbage.
    Honestly, Ubuntu is about the worst desktop distribution out there, they just shove whatever their idée-du-jour is down your throat. KDE4 and Gnome3 might have been garbage (I stopped using Gnome after release 1.4 and I never really used KDE at all) but most sane distributions waited with shipping those releases until they were usable. Hell, Gnome 3 still isn't marked stable on Gentoo.

It's also easy enough to just replace Unity by something more sane as there are ample alternatives out there, Xfce and lxde come to mind or a proper window manager if you really want to overhaul your computing experience and productivity (at a, sometimes very steep, stime investment).

I stopped using Linux as a general purpose desktop system when my time became valuable (ie: I got a job). If you convert my pay into an hourly rate, it is less expensive for me to buy a Windows 7 license than it is to get my wireless drivers working in Ubuntu. Plus, my wireless and video drivers broke in Ubuntu every time there was a kernel update.

I still use Linux on a daily basis for servers and in VMs, but almost strictly from the command line. Linux beats Windows hands down for server environments.

However, for general purpose computing, Windows 7 is the best operating system I've ever used. It's rock stable, very secure, the task bar concept they took from OS X is a huge step up from the old task bar and almost everything just works right the first time.
    De gustibus et coloribus non disputandem est. Windows gets in my way when I try to work, my desktop must work the way I want it to and certainly not get in my way and Windows gets in my way in just about every way possible.

Windows 8 looks like it's going to be complete garbage too, but unlike older versions of Ubuntu, Microsoft will support for Windows 7 for many years (look at how many people still get by using XP; go install Ubuntu 4, released 3 years after XP, and see how well you can get by in a desktop environment with modern hardware).
    Having to hunt down all my settings and reďnstalling every bit of software on a production desktop would take me way more time than I would ever lose fiddling with a GNU/Linux system. I would know, I recently had to do it for a Windows XP system. Being able to just copy over your home directory and be done with it(tm) is pretty damn awesome, assuming you need to reinstall a properly set up Linux machine, I have installations that are nearly 10years old and still run like they were done yesterday, some of those also were neglected badly but I still managed to upgrade them to the latest version with a bit of effort, they weren't Ubuntu machines though (hell, Ubuntu didn't even exist when that one was installed around 2002 and not, it's not a server, it's a laptop).

Also there's no reason to be using such an old version of a desktop distribution anyway unless you're totally lazy with upgrades. Unlike a Windows system, where you're stuck due to licensing and just because it's impossible to upgrade without major impact to your productivity (nobody I know upgrades Windows; they all do reinstalls, bringing us back to my previous point about backing up your settings).

TL;DR don't assume "Ubuntu is Linux", it's not. It's not even representative for anything GNU/Linux stands for.
    Last edited by theBlackDragon; February 21st, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

TL;DR don't assume "Ubuntu is Linux", it's not. It's not even representative for anything GNU/Linux stands for.
    This rant thread is specifically about Ubuntu; not Linux in general: "I've Had It w/ Ubuntu #RANT/" My post refers to Ubuntu when I mean Ubuntu, and Linux when I mean GNU/Linux in general. There is no confusion on my part between the two.
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

This rant thread is specifically about Ubuntu; not Linux in general: "I've Had It w/ Ubuntu #RANT/"
    The thread should be titled "I've had it with Ubuntu Unity DE" (or KDE or Gnome or ...). All the OP complaints were about the DE not the underlying linux foundation. For myself as a Fedora user, when I was very disappointed with Gnome 3 I simply switched to XFCE.

I suspect the same type of comments seen here will soon be showing up again, but about Windows 8 desktop ..
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  15. D'oh!

yes Oreo, but then you said:
    I stopped using Linux as a general purpose desktop system when my time became valuable
    Which is *not* specifically Ubuntu and should be addressed.

For myself, I've never had anything good to say about Ubuntu with the exception that it's not Windows. I'd use a Gnome 3 desktop before any version of Windows, they all suck that bad.

Gnome 3 is a joke. I don't think the developers of it ever had to do any actual work from their systems. I guess it's geared to people who know nothing about what Linux is supposed to be and, in my view, it fits perfectly with Ubuntu's "we're going to do things our way and have our own standards" approach. I think it's really sad that Fedora adopted it as I use Fedora 14 on my primary desktop and don't really have time to go find something just as good, if there even is anything. Gnome 3's fallback mode is worthless, however, I have been meaning to set up a vm with Fedora 16 and see how BlueBubble runs on it, but I'm thinking my next "upgrade" will be when I have the time to replace it with Gentoo. I don't see myself switching from a Gnome 2 desktop any time soon - certainly not for any version of Windows. My time is just too valuable.

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
  17. Providing fuel for space ships

Guess the general feeling on this thread is that the Unity interface is garbage!

I couldn't agree more. Making a screen layout wider than the screen dimensions without a scroll bar !? I mean, wtf is that all about ! Also, why does it insist on showing all the software that I could have installed BEFORE listing the software I have actually installed!? What a pile of pish.

I'll stick to Fedora/CentOS/RHEL methinks.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  19. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

I stopped using Linux as a general purpose desktop system when my time became valuable
    Originally Posted by this213
    Which is *not* specifically Ubuntu and should be addressed.
    Correct, that statement is not specifically about Ubuntu. However, it is specifically about my personal use of Linux, therefore I assure you that it is still completely true. I didn't just stop using Ubuntu, I stopped using all (desktop) variants of Linux.

Of course, the statement does imply that people using Linux (in general) don't value their time, but no one could argue that that is true for everyone and every situation. Additionally, since you make exactly the same implication (probably with the same assumed condition that it doesn't apply to everyone and every situation), you can't really fault me for it.
    Originally Posted by this213
    I don't see myself switching from a Gnome 2 desktop any time soon - certainly not for any version of Windows. My time is just too valuable.
    PHP FAQ

21. D'oh!

Of course, the statement does imply that people using Linux (in general) don't value their time, but no one could argue that that is true for everyone and every situation.
    This is true, I'd warn anyone who makes money on their computer to think long and hard before they go dumping all of the tools they're used to using in favor of anything else - which is sort of what Gnome did when they rolled 3 out in my view.

Comments on this post

• E-Oreo agrees
  23. kill 9, $$;

Just noticed this thread. I wonder if anyone has used Cinnamon yet? It's being developed by the Linux Mint people (installable via a PPA on Ubuntu) to be a modern desktop with the paradigm we're familiar with (i.e. it should function similarly to Gnome 2.x). Worth a look IMO.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I've heard good stuff about cinammon and MATE, mostly from posters in fedoraforums complaining that it's not easily available in fedora.

I've been thinking of cranking up a VM and giving mint a tryout, I've never used it.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  27. No Profile Picture

I've Had It w/ Ubuntu #RANT/

good day
    i feel the same way you all do! some of the things i do i have to do in win7 or xp . every time i boot one of them up i'm reminded of why i don't like windows , my windows never sees the WWW .

i will use ubuntu 10.04 as long as i possibly can , but! i have installed xubuntu and i haven't found anything i haven't liked yet it works the same way and has the same programs and i like the right click on the desktop you can open everything up you need.
  29. No Profile Picture

I have on my list for the next few months to get a bunch of alternative distres running in the lab here. With dozens of dual monitor Ubuntu 10.04 desktops, we're gonna have to do something, and I'm not convinced Unity is the answer.

I've targeted Linux Mint as an alternative, but also simply moving to Xfce and a basic Window Manager. My users don't need much, but a consistent menu system and virtual desktops (and current browsers!) are at the top of the list.

Cinnamon looks interesting.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo