1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which is best for a LAMP using PHP 5.3.x or later?

Just experienced how difficult it is to install bleeding edge PHP on a RHEL 5.4 distribution. It's not as fun as you'd think. Are there any distributions aside from RHEL that give you more abundant common repositories, or a distro that lends itself well to installing from source?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Never had an issue installing PHP from source on CentOS. CentOS happens to be based on RHEL.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I got tangled into some really tricky dependencies when I tried to install PHP 5.3.2 from source on RHEL 5.4. That was including a lot of extensions which are like mysql, PDO, APC, libxml, etc... When I tried to install 5.1.3 from source, I had no problems at all, but that was the same version that the RHEL common repository gave me. Unfortunately I need a 5.3.2 version and newer as new versions will arrive.

I tried Fedora 13 (Goddard) and php 5.3.2 was the default installation for common repository. I think I'm going to stick with this one as it also has a lot of goodies for PHP than what was offered by the RHEL repository, and its giving me better performance with 5.3.2 (probably because of less molestation on my behalf). This eliminates the need for me to install from source, and I like using the repository better, so I'm considering this thread resolve for myself, but feel free to continue to comment if anyone has any relevant input.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo