Thread: Which Linux?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Shleda, it doesn't mean you were wrong in choosing RH at the time, because you hadn't asked us yet And don't feel ashamed or wrong for using RH. If it does what you want it to do, then great! Keep using it!

If you have the money to try other distributions (I also can't just download one to CD ) then give others a go, starting with SuSE according to the members of this forum.

GNU/Linux is all about your freedom to use and explore your computer. What you do with it is very much up to you, so enjoy yourself
  3. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Re: So this Means I am Wrong

Originally posted by shleda
    This means I was wrong in choosing RH7.2
    That makes me feel ahsamed in this forum. Every one is asking me to shift to suse.
    It's just the forum's opinion. There is no such thing as a wrong distro (there won't be until M$ makes one). But some distros are better for new users and some are not so good. No reason to feel ashamed for anything.
    SO does Suse means Best Linux and RH means Good Linux
    Not necessarily. But I think you will find SuSE easier to use - they cover home users at least better than RH, which imho is completely business-oriented.
  5. Born Looser
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking I got It

Look at my teeth.
    Yo man now I know Use Linux Be it RH or Suse is the bottom line. Hmm. I won. Some said right Share your apple with one another guy and in last you have one. Share your idea with other guy and you have TWO.
    So above things say that Suse is good and simple for End Users Like me (I consider myslef as Dummy) But RH is not a bad Choice.
    Suse Vs RH and winner is Suse and RH

<?WhichLinux
    echo "May Be the Mine is best will always ";
    ?>
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  7. Born Looser

Question which Liux for making $$$$$?

Ok,
    Now the topic Should be like this Which Linux if you want to make It as a profession and want ot earn a salary in which you get a Benz free.
    I learnt that (I am not a pro and may b very much wrong) that RH is used for web services like hosting. Ok now the question is Windows have lots of jobs for S/W pros. Do Linux have jobs and that also paying ?
    I don't want to be a sys admin. What Kind of Linux (RH/SUSE/DEBIAN/MANDRAKE) I should use. OK U may say Linux is one but which Linux is the topic of this post.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Re: which Liux for making $$$$$?

Originally posted by shleda
    Which Linux if you want to make It as a profession and want ot earn a salary in which you get a Benz free.
    You're quite ambitious, aren't you?
    I learnt that (I am not a pro and may b very much wrong) that RH is used for web services like hosting.
    RH is not the only distro that can do tricks. It's just chosen too frequently.
    Ok now the question is Windows have lots of jobs for S/W pros. Do Linux have jobs and that also paying ?
    Yes, afaik it does. However, if you think about a serious career in Linux software development: that seems (I don't know for sure) to be quite tough stuff.
    I don't want to be a sys admin.
    That is certainly also a way to money, albeit not as much as in software development (and for whom do they call when the servers are down again because some (programming) guy just had to test this thing that incidentally takes down the whole network?).
    What Kind of Linux (RH/SUSE/DEBIAN/MANDRAKE) I should use. OK U may say Linux is one but which Linux is the topic of this post.
    Well, here you should start making a difference between Linux itself (the kernel) and the different distros. Basically, so long as you are not going to do very distro-specific stuff, anything will do. I cannot say much about other distros, but with SuSE you get all the tools you need. And the stuff should work on other distros just fine (provided all dependencies are there, of course).
  11. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I would say that if you're looking to make a career out of GNU/Linux, you'll need to take whatever you can find, be it sys admin work, software developing, or any other job. They're not that common, and most UNIX programmers earn their living developing Windows software.

If you're serious though, and you want to get to the level where you can develop software for GNU/Linux, then your best bet is probably to use SuSE or RH until you're familiar and happy with it, and then switch to Slackware to really *learn* about GNU/Linux. With Slackware there are no RPMs, not special GUI tools to configure the system - the whole system is as pure a UNIX as any distro will give you, so you'll learn loads more about developing software with it :-)
  13. Born Looser

Talking Unix jobs are really not common

People will say Why the hell this guy is showing teeth?
    Man Unix has got no JOB. I think that this is right. Jobs are shrinking. and recently US (fearing) has decided to ban all Computing Jobs for foriegners. Also there is a slow down every where. I am ambitious. I want to rule this world but M$ will not let me.
    Any way thanks a lot for ur advice. I am going to dive down in Unix Ocean.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
  15. No Profile Picture

"Hey don't forget some of us still use 56k modems..."

:haha:

Yah- I remember downloading slackware way back when, and writing out the 30+ floppy disks. That was fun! I remember how painfully slow 1200b/s was, too. Let's see, RH 7.2...

disk1 647MB
    disk2 639MB
    I didn't have a box that could even run linux until I had a 9600b/s modem...

about 157 hours for the first disk!

Seems like slackware was about 35 disks back then. Amazing how technology advances. Anyone try running X on their 386/16? I think I still have an old slackware dist on floppy somewhere...

I never used SuSE or Mandrake or (insert flavor here)- RH followed Slackware, and I've been too lazy to mess around with anything else.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo