Thread: Which Linux?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Sencha Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Arrow Which Linux?

Which Linux is better suited for a newbee but still has functionality?

I am looking to get one at the following address:
    http://linux.com/learn/getlinux/

but I don't know which I should get. I do know a few things about Linux but not a whole lot.
    -Mitchell Simoens
  4. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Slackware
  6. Web Monkey

I refuse to be from anywhere, I am one with the internet
    get slackware man. version 3.5 doesnt even need a partition. It's a great way to get used to it. Then you figure out what you want that it doesnt have and look at your options =)

http://www.slackware.com
    Quick, think of something geeky to say before they catch on!
    Mozilla is your friend!
    Web Site
  8. No Profile Picture
    <(>_~)>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Slackware one of the most complicated Linux distros available?

For newbies, SuSE and Red Hat are good, I think.

I personally prefer SuSE, but you cannot download SuSE in a format which is easily installable - you can only download all the files separately. In the case of Red Hat, you just need to download the 2 ISO files, burn them onto a CD and you're all set.

Realnowhereman: Shouldn't there be something added to your sig? Something like "... honest." or "... great."?
    Last edited by CodE-E; March 5th, 2002 at 11:12 AM.
  10. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

In the case of SuSE, you just download the three boot floppy images, write them on (surprise!) floppies and boot, then let the setup program (YaST) do the download. The advantage is that while you still have (almost) the choice of the Professional version, you download only what you select for installation.

edit:
    Re: sig
    No. Imagine "and"s between the lines. For me, M$ exists. What about you?
  12. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I'm quite sure that SuSE has some ISO-files too...
    At least they have had it...

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  14. No Profile Picture

16. o0o.o0o

I have always found it easiest to do an install directly from the net with RH. Is this available for the others such as SuSE or Slackware?

BTW, why do you want to hack around with linux if you are running FreeBSD? Not trying to start a war, I am just curious.

Brett

Originally posted by CodE-E
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Slackware one of the most complicated Linux distros available?

For newbies, SuSE and Red Hat are good, I think.

I personally prefer SuSE, but you cannot download SuSE in a format which is easily installable - you can only download all the files separately. In the case of Red Hat, you just need to download the 2 ISO files, burn them onto a CD and you're all set.

Realnowhereman: Shouldn't there be something added to your sig? Something like "... honest." or "... great."?
  18. No Profile Picture

20. Wacky hack

Hey don't forget some of us still use 56k modems Even updating KDE through YaST2 is a pain; I have to disconnect, reconnect to the Net and leave it completely free to be able to *just* get it all in one go if I'm lucky, cuz often it refuses to resume. Pfft.
  22. Born Looser

Unhappy The question remains

I thought this discussion might help a newbie. But it got complicated. I found that Red Hat is the most popular and used Linux Ver(Rectify me if I am wrong. I am not GOD). Secondly I found Red Hat with a book, Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible. I detected all but not my Internal modem. I had to borrow my friend's external modem to make sure i was right and it did detected it on first shot. Bravo! But still I am unable to connect to net. I did have Mandrake Linux 8 CD which I got from A magazine but eventually found that every linux app is based on RPM. So why not all dummies like me start with Red Hat( ) and then make their own . Cheer Up

Don't blame me If I am wrong.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  24. No Profile Picture

Re: The question remains

Originally posted by shleda
    I thought this discussion might help a newbie. But it got complicated.
    This is because the discussed matter is complicated.
    I found that Red Hat is the most popular and used Linux Ver(Rectify me if I am wrong. I am not GOD).
    Most used, perhaps. As for popularity, this is not the same as usage ... and I see a lot more RH problems on the net than e. g. SuSE problems.
    Secondly I found Red Hat with a book, Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible.
    That gets religious ... there's a very nice manual in the SuSE distro and I think there are good books for others. So this is not a criterion.
    I detected all but not my Internal modem. I had to borrow my friend's external modem to make sure i was right and it did detected it on first shot. Bravo!
    Not a RH-only thing. (Slightly buggy) autodetection is common nowadays.
    I [...] eventually found that every linux app is based on RPM.
    This statement does not make any sense. Btw, there are whole distros out there (Debian, Slackware) that get on without RPM.
    So why not all dummies like me start with Red Hat( ) and then make their own
    Because there are better distros for Newbies with less bugs and more newbie-friendliness?
    Don't blame me If I am wrong.
    Who else should be blamed? The RH bible?
  26. Wacky hack

Manuals are both an important point and an invalid point. Good installation manuals are very useful for new users, and I would say SuSE comes with an excellent one (I can't speak for RedHat). As for other manuals, you can get plenty of good books which will apply equally to all distributions, though yes SuSE manuals are good.

To me, what makes a good newbie distribution is one that makes sense to the newbie when installing, that goes out of its way to ease the user's first steps into using the OS, that gives tools to make standard use easier than a Slackware-esque distro, and that will continue to work without problems for years to come.

SuSE had a good installation program, though the partitioning step is infuriating if you want to modify the settings, or if Windows isn't installed yet. It was very poor, I thought, at easing the user into using the system -- after the installation book there was a "SuSE Tour" which was about as much use as the Windows tour. I've been writing my own guide for my girlfriend to help her move from Windows to GNU/Linux because I really don't think SuSE's effort is up to scratch.
  28. Born Looser

Unhappy So this Means I am Wrong

This means I was wrong in choosing RH7.2
    That makes me feel ahsamed in this forum. Every one is asking me to shift to suse. OK I will try to find the Suse CDs. I am not a rich guy who can hang up his one and only phone line to download the Mighty Installations from net usinmg ye old 28Kbps connection (I am not lucky )
    SO does Suse means Best Linux and RH means Good Linux

Plz Don't kill me I am really newbie and still unable to configure my sound card.

Plz Rectify me I am really not GOD or GOOD at Linux.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo