1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Red face Why do you use Linux for dev over Windows?

I am preparing to switch back to Windows as my dev environment for the haxe,cpp,c workflow because:

1. I need to have a more responsive workflow between graphics work and coding
    2. I want to do more Windows rendering work and gamedev experimentation
    3. Came to the (duh) startling realization that Win based development at the cutting edge is easily possible (game development). I only need a few dependencies to be productive in my toolchain and mastering their building in Windows is not that difficult.

I think my reasons were the following for switching to Linux for development:

1. I was going to deploy server on Linux (which I am) and wanted to get expertly familiar with it.
    2. Building most open source packages is easier on linux.

The point of this thread is to try to remember why I switched to Linux in the first place.

1. Are there any big downsides to Windows development specifically within the hxcpp,NME,OpenFL,Haxe,Apache2,Tora,postgresql pipeline, in case I'm forgetting something before I make the switch to using NTFS, Windows, cygwin.
    2. Do you Win devs use cygwin for system interaction in your builds?

I am using a custom build server built in haxe so it's not really an issue but I do have a bunch of bash scripts which I hope will work on Win and will attempt to unify any quick and dirty system manipulation under bash with cygwin,ubuntu,debian as dependencies.
  3. No Profile Picture

I would say Linux is great for people whom will be using PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, or MySQL. While Windows solutions are often subject to charges. I would say both are generally good but one common mistake a lot of people make is assuming that the server system and the platform the computer runs on need to be identical. This is generally absolutely not a must.
  5. No Profile Picture

Sorry for the typo i meant " who will be using PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, or MySQL".
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by miss ina
    I would say Linux is great for people whom will be using PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, or MySQL. While Windows solutions are often subject to charges. I would say both are generally good but one common mistake a lot of people make is assuming that the server system and the platform the computer runs on need to be identical. This is generally absolutely not a must.
    To add to "miss ina's" answer, there is not better. It all depends on what you do. If you are planing to work with MS technologies .NET, C# etc, developing on Linux would be absurd.
    If you plan do develop Linux based technologies, obviously Linux is the better choice, however many of these are also supported on Windows, i.e. PHP, so unless it is something very specific (like for ex. perl shell application) you can still use Windows if you prefer it that way.

In any case if you are looking for more efficiency and productivity and Linux at the same time take a look at i2wm? https://i3wm.org/

You will be slow and it may seem frustrating at first, but later you will be coding with the speed of the light.
  9. No Profile Picture

Do you think you'll miss the encryption capabilities of Linux? As it says here: 1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/server/know-how/linux-the-cost-effective-alternative-to-windows/

"Using Linux at home is an unattractive target for hackers due to its low usage"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo