1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

linux (mandrake) & win98 together!!

i'm interested in linux especially mandrake and I would like to have it on the same machine as windows 98. In other words I'd like to have the two operating systems on the same machine.

Could anyone out there help a poor novice like me? Any Suggestions or recommendations would be fully appreciated.

HTower
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That isn't hard to do at all. After you get mandrake cds just boot from them and they will do the rest. Follow the setup wizard closely. It will recognize your windows drives and data and you just tell it what to with the hds. Bascially make sure you have 1 gig or more free for linux. The installer will partiition the drive on the fly during install and boom, you got two OSs.

MIKE
  5. Web Developer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

The best thing about Mandrake is that the installation is easy. Still, pay attention to everything it says. There's a lot to read at the first time. Make sure you understand what you are going to do, before you do it. Press nothing before that. Especially when comes to set your linux partition on your hard drive. My friend told me that when doing this, it is actually better to give Linux its own hard disc, that way you do not risk losing data taken that something goes wrong. Also, if you are unsure you can do the partition in Windows, before booting the cds.
    -- Tomi Kaistila
    -- Developer's Journal

The more you learn, the more you know.
    The more you know, the more you forget.
    The more you forget, the less you know.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo