Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I think you need some patience :-) People will come, the word will spread. Why last year I didn't read a word about GNU/Linux in the newspaper I read (The Independent, London UK). This year I have read dozens of articles, mostly rubbish admittedly, but still dozens.

As more people turn to GNU/Linux, so more people of a journalistic bent will turn to it. Graphics designers are already starting to move. Lord of the Rings is being rendered on a wall of GNU/Linux computers, and much of the design work is being done in Maia nwo rather than an SGI suite.

As for The GIMP... it is photoshop, it is in many ways superior, it's just insertia that makes people think otherwise. They're used to how Photoshop works so when a feature doesn't appear in the same place, they think it doesn't exist.

All this crap about "brands" is, well, crap. Yeah you're right in what you say about people connecting with brands, but GNU/Linux can't be simplified into a brand. Boo hoo. It is about the user's *freedom*, and about the user's *pleasure*. Once people use it on and off for a year or two, they get hooked, and tend only to stick around in Windows or MacOS for games.

Microsoft, by the way, aren't big through the marketing they do now. They were big before XP, before ME, before 98 even. They are big now because they started with something that beat the pants off the competition, and consolidated (and used a host of other nasty practices). The ygrew, and they seeped into eveyr corner of computing, and now they dominate. Just you watch as GNU/Linux and MacOSX take chunks of that share back. Word will spread, people will use and learn and love, easier distributions will get out.

The Free Software movement was never going to take the market overnight. It's taken a good 17 years thus far, and it's going to go on for years yet till it makes an impression on the desktop market. No matter.
  3. Born Looser
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

WinBlows Vs Linux

Hmm,
    This forum is too long. I read it quitely. It shocked me. Really WinBlows is tooo simple and Using Linux means u r geak. Ur Intelligent. U have got gray matter up there and Ur genius. WOW
    But My mom dad and Sis are (wwre) used to WinBlows until unless I told em how to play MP3 and play Linux version of Solitaire. They think The linux solitaire is more tough and hard to play. Gimp is really a blow to Adobe. They must thank that GIMP do not have simple interface as Photoshop have. Rest about using softwares is like if u use Netscape for one year u will hardly accept that IE is more good than Netsacpe. It is the practice which makes u go.
    I think Linux is in no way comparable to WinBlows. They are both different things You can use Linux more efficintly as Router than Windows 98SE and U have Win2k for all other things which Win98se or XP are not meant.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Re: WinBlows Vs Linux

Originally posted by shleda
    Using Linux means u r geak. Ur Intelligent. U have got gray matter up there and Ur genius. WOW
    Either that or you're one of the few people on this planet who actually read manuals.
    Gimp is really a blow to Adobe. They must thank that GIMP do not have simple interface as Photoshop have.
    I've tried Photoshop once. Took me half an hour just to figure out that all the functions aren't where I expected them to be. Took another minute for uninstall. Imho GIMP is very easy to use, compared to other programs. I know a guy who makes graphics for the WWW just by playing with GIMP without any specific aim.
    I think Linux is in no way comparable to WinBlows. They are both different things You can use Linux more efficintly as Router than Windows 98SE and U have Win2k for all other things which Win98se or XP are not meant.
    You can also just do everything with Linux and forget Windoze. With Freeciv, SoF and Halflife running on Linux, what do you need Windoze for?
  7. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

realnowhereman... GIMP vs. Photoshop seems to me to be a matter of which one you used first, and most. I used to use PaintShopPro loads, and disliked Photoshop until I used it a lot. Then I switched to the GIMP and found the same thing. Now the only thing I think is better in Photoshop is that is does more than your basic bitmap editor, by trying to make it easy to draw (draw shapes easily etc.) so you can do pictures more easily. But then learn how to use selection and fill properlyu and it's not really an issue.

P.S. SoF on GNU/Linux? How?! Please not through WINE?
  9. Born Looser

Unhappy Why don't people underatand?

Either U people could not read my hand writing or u just ignored it. I am not going to dump my genuine original WinBlows 98 SE CD. I purchased it and it is more costly than the Linux which I got with RH Bible. I just said that Even my Dad and mom can use Linux today. So Even if the win is not Lin but win can be replaced by lin. In any case the end user has win win situation.

Let me tell ya. I have to learn French or I must be a French to say some more words than Bonjour. What it means is that if u r using Photoshop for last one year It is easy for u and if u are using GIMP it is easy to use GIMP.

In my personal view I will never use Win if the day I learned GIMP. As grfx are the main thing which asks me to u use windows based apps. I use Gedit(again a taste not compulsory best thing) for all other work such as maikng PHP scripts. It may sound wired to you but I am easy eith Gedit. In windows I use a Developers pad again a free utility.

Rest again I will say Win is not camparable with Lin but it can be replaced with Lin.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

telex4: look at http://www.lokigames.com/products/sof/ - they don't say how exactly they ported it, but Loki's stuff is usually quite good. Btw, someone has actually ported Descent 1 to Linux. You can get it somewhere for free, together with the demo levels - it's cool.

shleda: people using Windoze are in a Lose-lose situation.
  13. Born Looser

Talking HAHAHAHA

I don't think that ppl using win are in lose lose situation ask my mom and dad. They don't know why they login as guest and i login as root to my linux box and why can't they access all the stuff on linux machine. Still I today heard from a pro (S/W engineer) that Linux saved him 10,000 US$. WOW
    I will say that Linux is really Economical. I have still to find a Linux based solution like flash. We Have everything which can Beat Win (Games, GIMP and Drivers(except for my Internal modem))
    But still Win has simple things. It is easy and don't want u to do things on Command prompt. Look with a simple PC users view and not from ur geeky eyes.
    Both are Uncomparable and this thread should end here.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo