1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mandrake 8.2 ProSuite newtworking

Newbie warning!!!!

Okay so I really want to learn some linux...lol So I downloaded 8.2 and tossed it on one of my machines as a dual boot. That part when fine, it installed perfectly...

the modem doesn't work (i was expecting this to happen so it doesn't bother me) i figured i would connect to the internet through my xp machine, the only problem is, i can't see my xp machine (i can't ping the ip of the linux box from the xp box) and visa versa, i can't see my linux box from my xp box and i can't ping it either, but loopbacks work fine from either machine.

i figure has something to do with samba? i really have no idea how to configure it or anything...so i need help configuring the networking aspect of linux...

the ip address for the liux box is 192.168.0.1
    the ip address for the windows box is 192.168.0.2

so how do i get them to talk to each other?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

your assumption is wrong.

if ping does not work, nothing else can. samba is not related to pinging.

can you post the output of "ifconfig" and "route -n" please? i guess this is not setup correctly.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by M.Hirsch
    your assumption is wrong.

if ping does not work, nothing else can. samba is not related to pinging.

can you post the output of "ifconfig" and "route -n" please? i guess this is not setup correctly.
    i got it too work finally. all i did was reinstall mandrake and also keep the other machine connected to the internet the whole time. it also didn't hurt that i had gotten the ip's backwards so i did all that correctly...and then all the sudden it was connected...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo