1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Problem with Mandrake connecting to the Net

Hello,

My problem is kinda wierd. I have a home network using Comcast cable and then I have a router that connects 3 computers in the house. I have Mandrake 7.2 installed and it was working fine upto 3 days ago, meaning I could access the Internet from that computer and everything.

All of a sudden, Sunday morning, it doesn't connect to the Internet. But from my Windows computer, I am able to browse the network and see all the files, I can connect to the Internet page on the Linux box from my windows w/o a problem and I can also telnet and ftp to it from outside. I can't connect to the Internet from inside Linux.

I have no idea what is going on, I've tried restarting the connection and everything. The internal lan is fine, the Internet is messed up.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dreams don't come with expiration dates.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Narrowed it a little bit

Ok, update to my problem. I have narrowed the problem down to the fact that something is messed up with the DNS. Because I can ping IP addresses on the net, like I can ping the IP for yahoo.com.

Question now is ... why would the DNS not be a problem in Windows and be a problem in Linux? And how can I fix it?

Thanks!!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

1.000.0000 answers possible from your description.

post your /etc/resolv.conf, plz, this could help tracking down the problem. also look at it when you are connected and when you are not. does it look different?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

here it is...

# search localdomain
    # search mtgmry1.md.home.com
    search mtgmry1.md.home.com

# nameserver 192.168.1.1
    nameserver 24.11.248.17
    nameserver 68.48.0.6

# ppp temp entry
    -----------------------
    Here is the /etc/resolv.conf file. I tried changing the network from static to DHCP and that made the Internet work, but then the LAN stopped working. I have no idea what is going on ... if its not apparent already

Thanks!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i guess the second paragraph is your online-version?

i could not ping the first NS. so itīs dead. seems like your ISP transmits wrong information for ppp-auto-DNS.

i could not connect to the second one via nslookup either. maybe it is restricted to users from this particular ISP, but i think they just messed up their configuration.

put static DNS Servers in there (/etc/resolv.conf). you can use ANY on the internet. eg a root-server like a.root-servers.net is 198.41.0.4. it is probably faster to use one near to your dial-up (use traceroute in linux / tracert in windows to find out how far away they are and how long it takes till they respond.)

i still cannot tell you why windows works though... maybe you have setup static DNS servers there already.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hey

Hey ...

The settings on my Windows are 'Obtain a DNS automatically' This is really wierd. Ok, so how do I know which DNS I should be using? Like is there a list of DNS' listed somewhere? Sorry for the moronic questions!

Thanks!

UPDATE: I changed the nameserver and still no effect. Why can't I use my routers IP (192.168.1.1) as a Gateway? It was working fine before but now it won't work ... really confused. Sorry for the hassle.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

there is no complete list i think.

you can lookup a.root-server.net, b.root-servers.net ... with nslookup (once you have a working dns)

your ISP should supply theirs in the papers you got after registration with them. if they suck, look up othersī with nslookup. the root-serverīs ips can be downloaded via ftp somewhere on the net, but i cannot tell you right now where best do a search on google...

to your gateway question: are you trying to use your gateway as dns-gateway? then you need to setup bind there to act as "caching" dns. it wonīt do it just by defining NAT / MASQUERADING though......

what OS is your gateway running?

[edit]
    hey jon, what happened to your post? sharing the trouble with ISPs just like me?
    [/edit]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo