Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I use pvs, vgs, and lvs commands to see what physical volumes, volume groups, and logical volumes are present. Or pvscan, vgscan and lvscan.

You can use an entire block device (disk) for lvm, or turn a regular partition into a lvm pv. I prefer to always have a "real" partition holding lvm, among other things fdisk -l is more understandable. For an entire disk lvm, I first create a single partition spanning the entire disk, then use pvcreate to turn that partiton into a lvm pv.

Shrinking a logical volume is at least a two-step process, first you must shrink the filesystem on the lv, then shrink (reduce) the lv itself.

I believe RedHat LVM is pretty much the same as Ubuntu LVM, the RH docs are my go-to: https://access.redhat.com/documentat...ion/index.html

Also, I do all my lvm chores from the command line, and don't use any gui tools to manipulate lvm. The one exception to this is when I create new virtual guests in KVM, I use the virt-manager gui to create the new guest storage in a new logical volume.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

yeah i'll look into that thanks
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by salimHydro
    from the 'edit properties' option ,
    L V Name :root
    Mirrored :unchecked
    LV size :100GB
    file system:ext4
    mount :unchecked

mount when rebooted:unchecked
    pressed ok but nothing happened so what did i do wrong:

i had the same issue . you tried partitioning with the lVM manager gui right. me too after that in logical view>root>edit partition
    window it shows shows partitoning bar for allocating 100 GB after press ok it shows the error as you say its "not mounted but its in use"
    but next time you try the edit partition it shows the partition bar as 100GB like we edited before.
    after this you can create a partition in the Logical View>Create partition. there you can use the remaining GB and use mount
    point "/" press ok and it will be created the restart the system remove the Live cd.
    In the file manager window you can see that partition .just format the partition .you're all set.

Comments on this post

• salimHydro agrees : it worked thanks buddy i really appreciate the help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo