1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which are best programming language for linux development

Hi, I'm anthony i just a newbie and I'm doing some research about which are the best language for system programming(open source OSes), mainly Linux.

I heard that C, C++ are fast for their work in Linux Kernel, ect.

What I really want to know wich are the proven language for system programming.(Linux). How good are they for securing the system(kernel).

I want to get the big piucture about system programming, if they use another language than C, for specifics task, or for security, ect.

My goal( i know i might take years), is to help improve security for systems specially Linux (or any other open source Operating system).
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

try ubuntu app developement

Hey Anthony,

To be honest, the manner of you question makes me think that jumping into kernel programming might be a huge leap and distant goal. I would recommend trying to start w/ a higher level language or one of the more common languages used on *nix systems.

Bash, perl, java, python are very good languages to start with. In my opinion, Bash is a must and you will probably learn some of it out of necessity as you start using linux. As for perl,java, and python, I would suggest python. Lots of common applications use python, it is very easy to learn, it is being used increasingly in Science/engineering, and you can write Ubuntu apps with it.

Check out "quickly" at
    http://developer.ubuntu.com/

Ubuntu has an app development framework that supports python
    (and several other languages) so you can write apps for Ubuntu right away.

After you learn some python, the other languages will make a lot more sense.

HTH.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey,

try bash, python, perl.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo