1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Redhat 7.1 installation getting stuck.

I got it some time back and i tried installing it but doesn't work.

Here is the whole thing.

I bought a book on Redhat some time ago and I got 3 CDs free. I tried installing it that day it self but it the installation got stuck during the extraction process of the Kernel.

So anyway i though it must be something wrong with my partitioning. So then i gave that thing to my friend and to my surprise it installed perfectly on his computer without even an installation.

So I really pissed and got my old 2.1 gb harddisk and hooked it up with my comp. And i got it working right. Now I deleted everything from it and I made 2 partitions in that HDD with Linux's Disk Druid (linux native and linux swap)

But still again when it reached the kernel it got stuck. Anyway one know what's wrong?

Before this it some how installed it but then when i tried booting it with the boot floppy which was made during installation it gave me the message

Red Hat Linux 7.1: Booting failed..

I need help guys. Please! I'm a wanna be geek.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This would be anyones guess, you should let it partition itself and see what happens. Also grab a few other distros if you can, such as slackware, suse, or bsd.
    What hardware you using.

VCR clock programmer and toaster repairman, best rates and best work around
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey man!

Well I'm running a AMD K6 - 2, 500 Mhz, 256MB ram, 32x Creative Infra Suite CDROM, Sound Blaster 16, nVidia Riva TNT 32, and some amd mother board.

Its pretty good actually. (I think!)

I had got Dragon Linux from a free CD with a magazine. Its wasn't very interesting really. Pretty small proggie requireing nothing at all. NO partitions and nothing.

I'm on a 56 k (which doesn't go beyong 44000bps.

So i can't d/l anything off the net.

Cya and thanks!
  7. Born Looser

Talking I also got 3 cds with RH Bible

Pal Look at my face,
    I also got 3 cds free with RH bible and just aped the book and I am a happy guy with RHLinux 7.2 and win 98se both on my machine
    WOW Gnome is really keeewwwl
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey shleda!

Well for some reason I'm not being able to finish the installation. Can you help me instead? I also got the 3CDs free with the RH 7.1 Bible.

Please help some one! I tried everything I could.
  11. Born Looser

Unhappy OK

OK u can see my eyebrows.
    First of all if u need a long email from me lemme know ur email id. then If u don't want read this thing
    Begin with aping the Partition part from book. If u can safely do this(Without loosing data, but I advice u to back up all ur data) the rest of the life is simple.
    Now a day too many utilities are there Like FIPS and other stuff, I used Disk Druid as it was a part of RH 7.2 Installation. It was easy I had backed up my data and really I didn't lost a single bit.
    Read the book if It xplaines how to Use Disk Druid and FIPS type of utilities, Actually u need 3 partitions for linux(May b I am wrong but in my tech knowledge it is 3)
    1. The ext3 partion for All Linux Stuff
    2. Swap Partition
    3. boot partition
    All above are required And Note that swap parttion must be more than 256 MB. (I don't think this is rule But I found it )

If someone in this foorum read this and find it wrong please rectify

Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

rh will partition itself will it not?
    Anyway it should not be too hard too install unless your partitions are messed up.

VCR clock programmer and toaster repairman, best rates and best work around
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks fellas. I'll try it soon and get back to you.

Hey shleda! My email is myth_pharoah@hotmail.com So you can send me a more detailed description if you have one.

Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo