1. Digitally Challenged
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

redhat 9 laptop install issues

ok here's the scoop. i'm trying to install RH9 and for some reason it keeps giving me a fatal error when i install. it gets to a certain point, just finishing up unpacking and installing openoffice and i get a fatal error saying it could be the media, or the hardware. i tested the media before install. i also decided to reformat using FAT32 from a win98 boot disk, and then running scandisk /surface to see if there were any surface errors. none. oh yeah the laptop is an old Sceptre P3 500 w/256 mb ram and a 5.7 gig hd. i think its actually a dell knockoff because it uses a dell manufactured docking station, and alot of the hardware matches up with older dells. so any ideas on what the problem is? anyone know if there is a better program for checking the surface of the harddrive? should i just try a bare minimum install? should i create another partition and install on to that one so its in a different physical location? yeah lots of questions. first linux install.
    My brain cells are like a storm trooper's armor: useless
  3. Digitally Challenged

after about 6 attempts it finally works. don't know what was up
    My brain cells are like a storm trooper's armor: useless
  5. No Profile Picture

I had a similar sort of problem where, for some odd reason, i couldnt install linux onto my Compaq EVO 1015v laptop.

Reason: It would detect the cd-rom and boot up into it, but after that, when i initiated the install, it would fail to find the cd-rom drive.

Solution: I gave up and installed VMWare and installed RH9 that way. The laptop came with XP Pro.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo