1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Redhat Linux 6.1 internet problems

Hello,

I just installed Redhat Linux 6.1 the other day and tryed to log onto the internet, but have encountered some problems. It seems that I can connect to the the internet just fine(Or so it seems), but when I try to do anything that requires a connection to the internet, it just doesn't work!

For instance, I open up Netscape and when I tryp in an address (Such as www.aim.com) it comes up with an error like this:

Could not find host www.aim.com

And no matter what I try to go to, it allways says the same thing. Is there an error in my configuration of the account?
    I have MSN is that helps, and befor instaling Linux, I had Windows98 (It came with the computer), so I was thinking that mab this is a WinModem? I don'tknow how to check that though. I would say "Maby I'm not connected t the internet then?", but when I pick up the phone, there is no dial tone indicating that it's being used, and I was guessing the internet.

Any sugjestions on what to do or what's wrog would be great! Thanks for your tme

Epsilon
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    1. First, I would check if you can ping an external host by IP address. For example, type:

ping 4.2.2.1

If this does not work, then you are not connected to the net. STOP HERE and figure out why you are not connected.

2. If step 1 does work, then maybe you don't have a nameserver specified for your box. Check if you have a file in the /etc directory called resolv.conf

If the file is there, check the contents to see if there is a valid nameserver in there.

If this file is not there, create it and add the line:
    nameserver <ip address>

where <ip address> is the ip address of a nameserver. Now you should be able to ping out to www.aim.com (hopefully). If not, you might have some other problem.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks

Thanks for your help, but I found out that my ISP(MSN) doesn't support Linux, and unfortinitly, we are binded to a three year contract with them. So, my search for an ISP that supports Linux has begun! Any recamendations for a fairly cheep and good ISP that supports Linux?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just ditch MSN and pay them a penalty fee.
  9. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Did you specify the correct DNS?
    Look at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...-ppp-kppp.html (RH 6.2 - KPPP)
    And http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...de/ch-ppp.html (RH 6.1)
    Why are you using a so old version?
    Hope this helps!

Freebsd: How can an ISP selectively block Linux?
    Last edited by pabloj; February 28th, 2002 at 03:08 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> How can an ISP selectively block Linux?

You need to rely on a special software in order to communicate with your ISP to get your IP and gateway. And that ISP doesn't speak DHCP or not RFC compliance.
  13. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb

If u are running win2k
    you could enable port forwarding (forget what its call in the windows world) by going to network properties then TCP/IP properties, then choose the last tab (i believe) then some where in this window should be an option to forward traffic.

for example lets say ur win2k box has a NIC for internal lan and a modem to connect to MSN, you can tell it to forward traffic comming in from the intranet NIC by specifying privite ip address in use.... then forward to modem...

at least this will get u going as far as getting access to the net... but if you really wanna learn linux for administration purposes etcc... i advice u to stick to CLI (command line interface) rather than X. But it you MUST have X, to endulge, sure you can... however u need to update to a more recent ver/distro. like Mandrake 8.x, which in my opinion i think is the best distro for the desktop, RH 7.x is ok too. 7.1 seems to be stable...

For the server i would use something like
    Engarde Linux, its agreat distro!
    and Trustix too....

my 2cents
    /rod

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo