1. watch for flying fingers
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Restarting network devices remotely

I have a machine with several IP addresses with eth devices like eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2, eth0:3. Can I restart only eth0 without bringing down eth0:1? It would be really convenient to be able to log in via SSH on eth0:1 and restart eth0 without locking myself out or not being able to bring the network back up.

If I stop eth0, will that automatically stop all the others?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I suppose you can use ifconfig to restart a specific network interface. When connected remotely via ssh to a Fedora machine I regularly do 'service network restart' without getting kicked off (although that's on my internal LAN not so much to an outside server).
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Like Doug said, you should be able to do this with ifconfig. Note that if you re-ip eth0, it might remove your default gateway. Generally, when I don't have serial console access and need to do this type of thing, I start a screen session and just execute a string of commands in it just in case I get dumped.
    Code:
    # ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 && route add default gw 1.2.3.255
    If I really want to play it safe, I will actually write out a quick shell script that will make the change, check for connectivity (just a quick ping test) and revert to the previous config if the test fails. If I don't have easy physical access (or serial), I generally play it safe, myself.
    badger badger badger badger
    badger badger badger badger
    MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo