Thread: router

1. No Profile Picture
    Master of Weirdness
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ok, so i screwed that up too, man im good at screwing up!
    i think im going nuts, but ain't i nuts for thinking that?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

in "trial and error", there have to be errors, no?
    unless you f***ed up and reinstalled the whole system from zero at least 50 times, you canīt ever become good
  5. No Profile Picture
    Master of Weirdness

what the hell is trial and error?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Master of Weirdness

ok, i understand trial and error now, but 1 question:
    how the hell am i supposed to know what (and how) to try?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

reading magazines, books, howtos (/usr/share/doc/howtos/ depending on distro), other threads in this forum, and then taking all these pieces of info and making something new of it (be a hacker )

i got my first pc in 1989 and it took me one day to accidently delete the partition on trying to resize it and not knowing what i am doing and another four weeks to low-level format the harddrive (at this time=death). gladly they still repaced it for guarantee... and i think in the first year i formatted harddrive and installed different versions of dos at least 30-50 times.

starting with linux about 95 the same again. several times lost all hard-drive data. but i was better then: i had 99% on tape

so - try it and make backups before because then you can have any kind of accident - no problem

there is only 3 things that i know of that you can break using software:
    - your monitor if it is older (newer ones switch off on sync rates they donīt support)
    - your graphics card (overclocking the chipset) i guess
    --> no experimenting with X-Windows Modelines!
    - your head ("how do i restore a win9x backup if i donīt have win9x installed? and if i install it, i cannot restore the backup since i cannot overwrite the running windows... ")
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lol, screwing up ur comp is considered being a hacker these days?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Master of Weirdness

it is? cool, im a class 1 hacker!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

tuxie:
    nope, but fixing it afterwards alone
    you need this kind of courage - trust yourself that you CAN fix it. just donīt give up. Always find out "WHY?".
    at the beginning it will take you much more time than it is worth (then), but after some practise, your mind will be able to think in bits and bytes.

i never claimed that you are a hacker if you fīup your system. anyone i know using pcs did that already... but only few repaired it themselves!
    Last edited by M.Hirsch; May 23rd, 2002 at 01:35 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Master of Weirdness

ok, so what you're trying to say is that i have to figure it out on myself? But the $1000 question remains: how can an idiot like me think in bits and bytes if i dont even think at school?
    think about that one.
    further more: how can i fix things i dont understand noodles about?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by M.Hirsch
    tuxie:
    nope, but fixing it afterwards alone
    you need this kind of courage - trust yourself that you CAN fix it. just donīt give up. Always find out "WHY?".
    at the beginning it will take you much more time than it is worth (then), but after some practise, your mind will be able to think in bits and bytes.

i never claimed that you are a hacker if you fīup your system. anyone i know using pcs did that already... but only few repaired it themselves!
    Lol, I know.I am a coder, remember?

I will maybe get a Mac soon, weeee....Finally I can get rid of the evil pc!
    Last edited by Tuxie; May 23rd, 2002 at 04:18 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Master of Weirdness

what, Mac?! cool
    warn me when u get it
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

tuxie, after 4 weeks youīll be disappointed too i had to do some work with macs at the previous company i worked for. not everything that glimmers is gold...

but itīs still 100 times better than win**** in most areas.

degar, did you know that einstein was nearly kicked from school? learning coz u have to is completely different from exploring something you feel you have to know...
    it wonīt just come to your mind, youīll have to read alot and talk to other people about it to get inspiration.

one example from my life:
    recently i built a ir-receiver for my pc. i tried already some years ago with trial-and-error, but didnīt succeed. this time i did a search on google for infrared, selfmade and software.
    i found: winlirc, girder, irassistant and on the homepage of cīT (the best german pc magazine) i found the board layout and parts.
    i could not make it up alone since i donīt know that much about electronics. i still can only guess how it works exactly.
    story goes on: i noticed that winlirc sometimes stopped to work after my pc went stand-by. what could this be?
    - ok, maybe the program is broken. the source code was available, it was quite short and i did not see any errors.
    - maybe the hardware is broken. no. it always works until i go stand-by and wake the pc up again.
    - maybe itīs windows. since winlirc is no driver as such but a "normal" program, there was only few possibilities:
    - the program is suspended and not restarted
    - the hardware is suspended and not restarted. this was it. i measured voltage on the serial port and saw that when the pc goes standby, it was completely gone. and it did not come back when the pc woke up.
    digging a little through the source code of winlirc, i guessed that it raises a signal line (that is put a one-bit onto a specific register). the signal line was connected on the +5v of the ir-receiver.
    GOT IT! windows did not restore the modem status lines of the serial port after standby.
    SOLUTION: added a hook-function to winlirc so that it recognizes standby-mode and re-sets this bit after wake up.

can this be considered a hack? probably no, too easy. but i think it somewhat shows my way of learning. find all possible ways, eliminate one after the other that does not work.

though your way (and othersī) might be totally different....

just my 2ec
    Manuel
    Last edited by M.Hirsch; May 24th, 2002 at 04:41 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I dont think I can ever be disapointed with a Mac, its probably a Mac X.Mac X is based on Unix, so it cant be bad.If you are tired of the mac gui, you can always play with a terminal.

Linux is still my fave OS, but this adsl thingy is really bugging me.A os without internet is useless.

Anyways, I will probably start coding for Linux.Windows programming (especially MFC) is just evil.Can you recommend a good c++ compiler for Linux?
    I already tried Kylix, but I dont know delphi and I dont want to learn a whole new language.I ll rather stick to c++.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

a good c++ compiler for linux? it comes with it! ... gcc can (with some adittional rpms maybe) compile C++.

for coding you can use emacs. if you need more comfort, look for the ide that comes with kde.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What do you mean?Could you please explain it a bit more?

In windows I can make a c++ app, lets say a hello world app, with a int Main() and save it as .cpp and open it with visual studio.I can then run it by pressing f5.How would I do this in Linux?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo