1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Red face Running out of space, need to alter mount space

Hiya

We are running Redhat 7.0 Guinness on one of our servers which controls access to the rest of our servers (win 2k server), etc, etc.

My problem is that this machine was set up by a company that no longer supports us and we are running out of hard disk space in a couple of the mounted partitions. We do, however have plenty of space left on the hard drive itself.

How do I reallocate the amount of space available to each mounted partition without re-installing redhat? This server is the core of our network and while I can take it down in quiet periods for a very short amount of time I can't take it out of service for a day while I reinstall. While I will of course be backing up the server before I touch it I need to be as sure as you can be in these things that whatever I do to the server isnt going to bugger all the data on it.

Is this possible? If so can anyone tell me how to do it or point me at a good tutorial or something?

Thanks
    mitchell
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1) use symlinks
    2) add a new disk
    3) reinstall
  5. No Profile Picture
    Code Poet

To answer your question directly: "Yes."

There are a number of tools out there that will let you manipulate disk partitions without destroying the data.

GNU Parted comes to mind.

Look at the documentation for some examples. You should have someone who is familiar with partitioning to help you, as it is easy to screw things up.

As always, you should back up everything first.

Best,
    parker
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Talking Thanks!!

Thanks to Freebsd
    Short sweet and too the point! Just what I needed.
    Symbolic links looks like a nice simple way to solve the problem as the hdd is huge and is barely being used and my boss went gray when I mentioned reinstalling!

Thanks to parker too. I'll take a look at the app you suggested and see if that might help.

Mitchell
  9. No Profile Picture
    Code Poet

I'm glad symlinks fixed your problem. But it sounds like the bigger problem is that you have a server that is "core" to your network that cannot be taken down.

What are you going to do when the disk dies? How can you sleep at night?

Best,
    parker

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo