1. No Profile Picture
    #-------------------------
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Samba - packet loss - network path not found

Hello. I am new to Linux, so this should be pretty simple.

I have RedHat with Samba and Apache. Then I have a Windows machine with XP.
    They are both behind my router/firewall which serves dhcp address 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101.

In XP I can see the Linux machine, and I can successfully ping it by ip, but:

Problem 1: When I ping by machine name the command prompt appears and disappears without displaying anything.

Problem 2: When i try to ping my linux machine by ip it gets a reply but with 100% packet loss.

Problem 3: When i click the icon for the linux box I get the error "Network Path not found".

Are these problems related? Any ideas for any of them?

Thanks so much
    -Mac
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hello,
    make sure to go over your /etc/smb.conf file once again..
    they are obviously in the same WORKGROUP since it can be seen from XP..

You wont be able to ping it using its name unless there is a WINS server in the network... I suggests you add and entry in ur Windows LMHOST file to map the ip to a its name... in which case the ip on the linux box will have to be static.. OR u can configure the DHCP server to act as WINS server as well... this is the reason why u get "network path not found". Cause the Windows box is using its name... but not resolving it to anything...

i was having a similar problme. And solved it by
    adding the name of the linux box, along with its ip, to my LMHOST file.. i cant say this will solve urs but give it a try...

remember u have to restart the smb daemon after making changes.. and dont forget adding the user name and password
    using smbuseradd util..

and read the manual ofcourse..

/r0d
    Last edited by r0d; March 2nd, 2002 at 12:06 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo