1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Source control blocking creating new files for my admin account

Hi all, would really appreciate some guidance on this issue.

I've inherited some work that a previous development company has left and I need to tweak some things.

I have an admin login for SSH to go to bash terminal. I was sure it was a root account but when I go into the www folder I cannot create any new files.

I'm pretty sure this is down to some source code versioning/control system.

My question is, how do I find out what's locking me out and how do I get around it?

Really not sure where to start

Would really appreciate any help

Thanks! - Chris
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No version control system that I've ever heard of has file permission enforcement beyond what's built into the OS. Some do change the file permissions when you run certain actions, like an update or pull, but they don't enforce the permissions after that point.

So basically the solution to your problem is that you need to change the file permissions. Those are what are locking you out.

You will need root access to change the file permissions. If your account isn't able to chmod the www directory then it's not the root account. However, you might be able to use sudo if your account is in the sudoers file. You might also be able to use su, if you know the root password. Using either sudo or su will allow you to chmod or chown the files so that you can write them without root permissions.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd do whoami to identify your user account, then ls -lf to view permissions on the directory your'e trying to write into.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo