1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Suggestions for server OS

Hi

I'm about to update my home server (currently running Fedora 9). I've had few problems with it - perhaps because it's a bit older and harder to find stuff still compatible, but more likely they've been operator errors.

I run an "old school" MOO and MUD, but also want to utilise user directories on Apache to give student access for web hosting (rather than use 'free' web hosting). [Hope that makes sense!]

Can anyone suggest an OS that is relativley easy to use - I think I need a GUI driven OS, rather than text based because of my "noobness".

So I think I need tools like webmin to help me through setting up and administration of the server.
    The box will have a 3.1 GHz Processor and 8Gb RAM.

I'd appreciate any advice.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I use Fedora for my servers, even though it's a pain to keep them updated. Every 6 months there's a new version.

Don't fail to keep your server version current. Fedora 9 is very old and will have lots of problems with current software.

If you want to run server applications like apache, throw out your 'noobishness' and learn the command line. vim can be your friend (after some time anyway).

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Personally I like Fedora, but as Doug said, theres a new version every 6 months or so!

As you're looking for a new server OS, have a look at CentOS. It's similar to Red-Hat in many respects.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo