1. No Profile Picture
    <(>_~)>
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SuSE 7.3 Download Question

Hi,

I'd like to get my hands on SuSE 7.3 without needing to spend money for the minimal benefit it would give me over a different distro. (Btw, I bought SuSE 7.1, so it's not like I'm some stingy bastard, hehe )

My ISP is not very stable - basically my connection gets interrupted for like a minute every hour.

Could I download SuSE 7.3 with my connection with the downloader which is part of the SuSE 7.3 installer? Will the entire download fail if I time-out once, or will it automatically resume without corrupting any files?

The problem I have with this download: when I need to format my harddisk, I'd need to download it all again. I don't want that. Could I download all the SuSE files with Windows onto my file-storage-patition (the one I keep stuff like warez, mp3s, config files, my school work etc. on ) and install it then from there, once the download is complete? Would that work?

If that would work, could someone suggest a good FTP download manager with which I can easily download the entire SuSE 7.3 Linux directory without needing to reconnect when I time-out, and one which doesn't corrupt files a lot?

Thanks!
    Last edited by CodE-E; March 5th, 2002 at 11:57 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

1. paragraph:
    nice way you think of it, but suse anyway makes the money of their professional services and not their distro. a suse technician can be up to $1000 per day.

2. change ISP

3. depends on what exactly happens when your ISP disconnects you

4. of course you can. get a ftp client or download manager and connect to ftp.suse.com

5. getright, gozilla, any should do this task. you are not asking for much
  5. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Adding to M. H.'s reply:

be sure to download to/store the files on a FAT 32 partition. Anything else is trouble (FAT 16, NTFS) - you'll have to be able to access the files from YaST for install, and that can't read anything Linux can't read.

Don't even attempt to d/l from ftp.suse.com - that server is slow, period. Check out the mirror list at http://www.suse.com/us/support/downl...t_mirrors.html and choose something else. My favourite is ftp.gwdg.de , for you somewhere else might be better.
  7. No Profile Picture
    <(>_~)>

I was going to store SuSE on an FAT32 partition, so that's no problem...

Since you mentioned that, I've got another question: is there no way to mount other Windows file systems, such as NTSF, on Linux? I'm just wondering because I like having access from my Linuxbox to the WinXP partition on that machine (C:\ is NTSF and D:\ is FAT32, thus, with my current knowledge, I can only mount D:\)

I would change my ISP, M. Hirsch, but I'm off to university in about half a year (phat bandwidth! w00t! ), so it's not really worth changing now, as I am the only person in my household who uses the Internet. Also, the current alternatives to my current ISP are not much better.

Back to my original question - is it easy to install SuSE from a local FAT32 directory? If not, could I get some advice please, or a direction to some helpful resource (suse.de isn't very helpful in this matter, they just explain how to install it directly from an FTP, which I don't want to do)?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yes.linux supports reading ntfs. but you should not write to a ntfs partition...

to your university thing: do you have telnet access? download everything to your /tmp there and get it directly from them. should be quite fast. think about installing a re-route daemon and getting your stuff once per (day, week) with a zip-drive

i just wanted to recommend switching isp. but i cannot tell you which is good. my one just broke down completely like 10 minutes ago no dsl, isdn cuts line every minute........ goddamn!

to your last question: it is easy.
    when yast starts up, switch to console 2 (alt-f2). then type "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt" (adjust hda1 to your partition - fdisk -l helps alot ) and tell yast (on alt-f1) to install from an "available directory" (sorry, i only know the german names...)
  11. No Profile Picture
    <(>_~)>

Ok, cool, thanks!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i am a kinda linux warrior. i am happy if i can help others to get into it.... especially ms users

[edit]
    did you know that MS pays to companies to switch from linux back to MS s***? in my point of view this is kinda mafia. just like they just threatened the "biz world" to take their new winOS from the market if people donīt stop attacking it....
    [/edit]
    Last edited by M.Hirsch; March 5th, 2002 at 03:17 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo