Thread: Symlink

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Symlink

Hope this is in the right forum.

I have a CMS I have developed, which will run on several sites all hosted in sub directories on my dedicated server. I want to create symlinks for the main files of the CMS, including all config files, functions and admin sections. Then there will be a few files specific to each site.

I read some tutorials on creating symlinks, although most are not very good in my opinion. Hopefully someone can answer a couple of my questions.

Do you have to create a symlink for every file I want to include? Or can I just create a symlink to a directory? For example:

CMS is located at /www/cms/

Can I make www/domain1/ point to that directory, and if so, will all files include themselves correctly. I think I am a bit confused on how this works.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes, you can symlink whole directories. You'll get every single thing below there (files, directories, other links...) too.

Yes. If the CMS is written intelligently you can probably just make a symlink for domain1->cms. Make sure the web server is configured to follow symbolic links (ie, Apache may need the FollowSymLinks option enabled).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo