1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ubuntu 12.10 install and boot issues. Please HELP!

Ok, for about the past 2 months, ive been trying to install Ubuntu on my awesome acer aspire one netbook.

Inter Atom 1.6GHz
    1GB RAM

I have tried multiple installation methods, Linux live CD, Linux live USB, windows installer etc. All have the same result

The installation hangs at "CPU interrupts balancing daemon"

and same when booting. I can access GRUB fine but i really am not very experienced with Linux (hence the reason im installing it). This is booted next to windows 7, and i have setup a separate partition of around 40GB for the Ubuntu installation.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I suggest that you try 12.04 instead of 12.10 as there seems to be an issue like you describe with 12.10.
    A quick google for "CPU interrupts balancing daemon ubuntu" should help you find the fix if you decide to stick with 12.10.
    first result HERE talks about it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your reply,

Just installed 12.04 LTS using unetboot usb creator. After alot of playing around I finally got the install to complete. It was a nice lengthy install so i trust all went to plan.

However, now when booting, i am faced with the error "Stopping save kernal messages [OK]" and it just hangs there.

Any ideas? As this is a netbook i have no CD-ROM drive. USB is my only option.

Thanks!
    Last edited by onlinegamesnz; April 7th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi

Did you try to boot into "secure mode" init 2 or 3 ? Just select in the Gub menu the savedefault option. (It is maybe hidden try TAB)

Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz
    Thanks for your reply,

Just installed 12.04 LTS using unetboot usb creator. After alot of playing around I finally got the install to complete. It was a nice lengthy install so i trust all went to plan.

However, now when booting, i am faced with the error "Stopping save kernal messages [OK]" and it just hangs there.

Any ideas? As this is a netbook i have no CD-ROM drive. USB is my only option.

Thanks!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the reply, but im sure its the atom processor. Reading post regarding the same issues, same laptops and same hardware. I think i just need to give up
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi

I would not give up so easy. Ubuntu got certified for the Atom processor:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/200905-2911/
    http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/200908-3469/

So at least Ubuntu 10.04.4 Desktop LTS 32-bit should run. Also Arch semms to run fine: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One

Gentoo is another option:
    http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One_A110L

Also note that This CPU DOES NOT support 64-bit! so only can try 32 bit installations.

Hope this helps a bit

Thanks for the reply, but im sure its the atom processor. Reading post regarding the same issues, same laptops and same hardware. I think i just need to give up
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, so are these installations similar to ubuntu? A GUI etc?

I will check them out
  15. No Profile Picture

Yes Arch is definitely easy to use. Also the older Ubunt variants are not bad because normaly you dont need the newest version of something if it runs for you.

Gentoo is very good for learning the basics of linux because you start in text mode and optimise your linux to your pc hardware this will give it more speed but i would not recommend that on a 1.6 Ghz because the compiling needs a lot of time. If you want to try go with simple Guis like XFCE and not KDE or Gnome they have a hard time running on a 1.6 anyway.

Thanks, so are these installations similar to ubuntu? A GUI etc?

I will check them out

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo