1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrading PHP On CentOS

Currently I have PHP v.5.6 installed on CentOS v.6 with an RPM.

However, an RPM is not available from the Official CentOS RPM library for the current stable PHP v.7.1.7

Thus, to upgrade, I'm may to have to do it the "old fashion way".

So, once I do this if I choose this route, what should I do with PHP v.5.6 which I will really no longer need?

And, I believe that I will need the standard MySQL stuff for PHP... So I'm unsure at this point what steps I'll need to take to get where I was with the RPM versions of these things things, the normal MySQL modules.

On the other hand, here's a tutorial that suggests they do have an RPM for PHP v.7.1 (from the Remi CentOS repository), so maybe I should go that route?

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...che-mysql-php/

I smell trouble.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Arty Zifferelli; July 9th, 2017 at 01:44 AM.
  3. Forgotten Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Go for Remi's stuff. Add that repo to your list and you should be able to upgrade normally.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

UPDATE

There is really no clear path to upgrade to the latest PHP 7.1 on CentOS v.6 especially if one is running other applications and such because dealing with dependency issues becomes unmanageable as a cascade of things break.

Therefore, I backed things up, wiped the image (it's a virtual server), and upgraded to CentOS v.7 and used the Remi archives for PHP 7.1

It's not surprising to me that this is so, that the CentOS archives are behind on PHP because as a rule, RHEL is not "bleeding edge" or anywhere close, the trade-off being a very stable production environment...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo