1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Browser pblm in Linux and windows

Hi,

My PC is dual boot with Win 98 and Red Hat Linux 7.1 I want to do sites in PHP and MySQL. On Lunux Apache, PHP and MySQL is working fine. The browser is Knoqueror, but it displays pages different from Windows Internet Explorer.

Can i develop PHP, MySQL sites on Windows 98. I have installed Apache on Windows and have PHP, but getting internet error when calling PHP script. PHP is version 4.0.0, downloaded one year back. Is it pblm with php. Heared MySQL for Win32 platform is not free. Can i use the shareware version for my work, will it expire after some day like other shareware programs.

On windows, opera is good, If i get Opera on Linux, will it display pages better than Konqueror.

Regards,

Boby
  3. Wiking
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Konqueror and IE are different browsers on different OS's, so it's no surprise that they behave and look differently...
    And PHP, Apache & MySQL are distributed under the same license no matter what OS you use. So you can use them on Linux or Win98 or whatever. There are some bundles available for you to use on Win32, like firepage's bundle http://firepages.com.au/devindex.htm.
    So you can develop your sites on Linux or Windows; it's up to you...

None of the above mentioned apps are distributed as shareware, and thus won't expire like you said.

And Opera is similar on Win32 and *nix, so you can use it on your Linux box as well.

//NoXcuz
    UN*X is sexy!
    who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks

Hi NoXcuz,

Thanks for your comments. I will shortly downlode the Apache+php+mysql bundle from firepages. In linux the only pblm i face is the page looks differently on Windows. Almost 99% visitors to my site is from win box.

Hope this bundle is a big download (atleast for my snail dialup connection), mysql from win32 itself is 8 MB (i think so).

If i develop pages in linux using Opera, will it display the same in Windows. In windows, opera display pages similar to IE.

Regards,
    Boby

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo