1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question File/Directory Permissions

I'm managing a fairly large intranet web site with many web designers needing access to various directories. The system is a RH 7.2 running Apache. I currently have the site split into seperate directories for each department and I want to allow web developers from a particular department to be able to upload, delete, and make changes only to their departmental directory on the web server. Also, I want to have read, write, modify access to the entire site for myself as well as the user that the web server runs as, because I have several admin. perl scripts which run as the web server user.

What is the best, most secure, and/or easiest way to accomplish this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Do a search using the keyword: suexec in all open forums under my username. Suexec has been discussed dozen times all over the forums.
  5. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Install SSH and have developers connect using an SSH client. Give the various departments each a hoem directory, and only give them permission to read/write/execute that directory and it's subdirectories. Give yourself a login with full access.

The best way to do this is to create a new group for each department (addgrp), to add the various users to the various departmental groups, to make the home directory for each user their departmental directory, and to chown each directory for each group. Just use "man command" to get more info on each command. Suexec would also be handy.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo