1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy New Linux 7.2 will not bootup via LILO or grub!

I have just recently upgraded to RH 7.2. When I upgraded I told it to install Grub on the first sector of my second hard disk. Previously I had been using LILO with RH 7.1 installed on the first sector of the second harddrive. My system is a dual boot, and I have Win2K and most of my work since '98 on that first hard drive. The second harddrive is solely for Linux. I am able to get into linux via the bootdisk I created from linux rescue, however I am not sure how to get my bootloader setup correctly so that I can use grub to choose between win2k and RH 7.2.

When I boot up my computer goes through the bios and hardware post tests, the says "LI ", that is all. Used to say "LILO" then proceed to load LILO. Any help would be much appreciated.
  3. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Read the how-to associated with LILO. Basically, you have to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file to reflect the partitioning and kernel information of your distro, and then run "/sbin/lilo" to write the change to your master boot record.

If you're lucky, lilo.conf may have already been configured properly by redhat during the installation, and it's just sitting there waiting for you to apply the change. . .
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If you want to use grub (which I would recommend) then you should just ditch lilo altogether. Look in /boot/grub for a file named menu.lst, you can edit this file to reflect your setup, I pasted mine in as an example. Windows 98 is on the second disk. Windows 98 is special in that it must boot from the first disk, grub is special in that it can make windows 98 think it is booting from the first disk, when in fact it is not! After you edit your file to suit, as root, run the command 'grub-install', this will put grub in your MBR. Grub can boot both OS's directly (you shouldn't need ntldr or lilo at all after you install grub). Also, check the grub manual for more examples.

timeout 3

default 1

fallback 0

title windoze 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive

title linux
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3

title windoze 98
    map (hd0) (hd1)