1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Any of you kind hearted Linuxers know of a GLIBC_2.1.3 that I could get?

Okay guys I am running a Linux program under FreeBSD Linux compatibility mode.

The program calls up libc.so.6 which is symbolically linked to another library, which on our system is version GLIBC_2.1.2. but the program needs GLIBC_2.1.3! So we are one version too short!

We have access to a Red Hat machine with GLIBC_2.2.4. Is the library backwards compatible? We could just load GLIBC_2.2.4 from Red Hat? Or do we need 2.1.3?

I know this is kindof a "why don't you just load the damn thing and find out!" type of deal, but I don't have access to the machine for another few days and am dying to get this thing going the minute I step in the door (well we know how that goes hahahaha).

Thanks!

Ted
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up Think I got this figured out

Okay, according to Red Hat, their glibc provides backward compatibility. This was of November 2000, version 2.2. The version we have on RedHat is 2.2.4, so hopefully this will do the is the trick:

This library provides binary compatibility with programs and shared libraries built for older releases of glibc, such as glibc 2.0.x and 2.1.x.

Binaries and shared libraries built against glibc-2.1.92-14 or glibc-2.1.94-3 are also binary compatible, but new binaries compiled against this glibc 2.2 might not run on systems with older GNU C library packages installed.
    http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000-079.html

GNU also provides all versions of the GLIBC, but those all looked like source versions, and I don't want to even begin to try and spend the next 6 months to figure that out!

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo